Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turbo LCD Gauge/Instrument Cluster Upgrade Walkthrough for Cayenne/S

Turbo LCD Gauge/Instrument Cluster Upgrade Walkthrough for Cayenne/S

Ok guys, you've been waiting for this, and as promised, here is my brief, but descriptive walkthrough. this is what you will need as the following: Porsche Panel wedge tool Screw Driver w/ T-20 bit and Flat head bit Turbo Instrument Cluster strong fingers! Ok with that cleared away, here is the first step. Remove the black plastic gauge cover above the gauges. Use the wedge tool or , in this case I used my fingers! (don't use the fingers, i highly recomend not to , it hurts hahaha

Edited by hcheun

It appears that you didn't get the compass to work. Is that right?

Hey AlienGG

I think it may need a TSB for QR1 , which is the compass option , its only $80 US, but the cluster i bought didn't have it working straight out of the box. I'll tinker/research more about it and let you and everyone else know.

• 4 months later...

Sorry if this has been asked before in any other RennTech Forums, but...think this will work just as well on a 6 cylinder? On the surface I do not see any major differences...And did someone say about $1500-1800 for the cluster?

• 2 months later...
Sorry if this has been asked before in any other RennTech Forums, but...think this will work just as well on a 6 cylinder? On the surface I do not see any major differences...And did someone say about $1500-1800 for the cluster?

LoL sorry for the WAY late reply

But yes, if you haven't already done so. All of the clusters from the base cayenne to the S can be changed.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

On 6speedonline forum one man writing, that he has some problem with turbo cluster on CS

the "comfort" menu looking like this

cluster2de1.jpg

have you this problem? or maybe some another problem?

tnanks.

Edited by Filin

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear friend;

Are you sure that the Turbo cluster can fit my Cayenne S perfictly without any problems?

Many said that it will not work since the Turbo software is totally different and will give a warning signal and so on!!!

Can you help please?

Thanks a lot.

Ok guys, you've been waiting for this, and as promised, here is my brief, but descriptive walkthrough.

this is what you will need as the following:

Porsche Panel wedge tool

Screw Driver w/ T-20 bit and Flat head bit

Turbo Instrument Cluster

strong fingers!

Ok with that cleared away, here is the first step. Remove the black plastic gauge cover above the gauges. Use the wedge tool or , in this case I used my fingers! (don't use the fingers, i highly recomend not to , it hurts hahahah). Remember , you will need to apply gentle but enough pressure to detach the tabs off from the top cover of the dash that is over the cluster

dsc007609bg.jpg

dsc007578hv.jpg

As you can see, the reason why i say "gentle" is because you have the tabs, take them off or apply too much pressure, and those bad boys can break, if anyone had experience with plastic and heat, they can easily become brittle. Just make sure you use precaution.

dsc007595od.jpg

Next, there are 5 screws to detach the dash cluster cover. 4 screws are attached to the top of the gauge cluster, while one (in back) inside the housing is there to hold the cover in place on the main dash.

Remember, these are t-20 screws. two are parallel on each side , symmetrical to each other

dsc007584pw.jpg

The rear screw, is located in the center back of the gauge cluster cover. as illustrated here.

dsc007625cr.jpg

Once all screws are removed, just like the black pastic gauge cover, remove the upper gauge cover off gentley. They are tabbed in place, so apply the righ pressure.

Note: when you remove the cover, be sure you have the washer for the 5th screw. This holds and aligns the cover of the cluster in place. as shown here

dsc007635of.jpg

Once the top is off, you will need to gain access to the bottom half. this is where most of the work will be done. here are the major things you will need to do

- Remove trip pieces

- unscrew support holding ignition/key

- remove driver left AC vent

Lets begin with taking off the side cover where the fuse housing is and the AC vent. Use the wedge tool to open the side panel and to take the ac unit out. the AC unit pops out as an entire pice, though the trim may seperate, this is normal, but becareful , damaging the trim will result in a loose fit.

dsc007640fg.jpg

The reason for this to come out is there is a screw that holds the lower portion in place, which later will be necessary to access the bottom part of the instrument cluster

Next take off the trim. There are three screws, t-20's , that are behing them. use the wedge tool again, gentley take the trim off. Again use precaution when taking them out. the outer ignition/key cover is part of the trim. so make extra effort to be careful

dsc007653uh.jpg

Once the trim is removed, and the screws , make sure you remove the support ring , which holds the ignition key in place by way of screwing around the threads of the ignition. there is a special tool for this, but i used a flat head screwdriver to pussh along some tabs gentley till it was unscrewed. Repeat for the trim on the right near the windshield wiper control arm on the steering will. there should be two screws to take off. Also note, the screw inside the AC vent on the left driver side, it should be on the upper corner.

dsc007669lc.jpg

Next, once all screws have been removed, gentley remove the tabs off , again, use precaustion, these are tabs, and need to be taken off with extreme care avoiding damage to them, and causing not to fit properly

dsc007683ro.jpg

Once the bottom is removed, go ahead and take out the remaining two bottom screws that hold/support of the cluster. Again,these are t-20 screws

dsc007691ok.jpg

dsc007703yk.jpg

Once remove, it's self explanetory from there, there are a green and blue connector, with purple latches. unlatch both, and remove the old cluster. Put in the turbo cluster, and presto, turn your car on, and test the cluster b4 putting it back together. your cluster should then boot up and you will see what awaits!

Further notes - When you hook up your gauge cluster, you will hear a weird buzzing noise, that's ok, it's just the cluster responding to its connection. You will also notice that your milage should be at 0.0 for new clusters or whoever's previous milage was on it, if you bought it used. So be forwarned, My friend who knows vw/audi's said clusters like these have a tendancy to carry over their last cars info on milage over to whichever car they are being installed. So note to yourself, to write down your actual mileage.

Once done, and pre programed, go ahead and put everything back together, and yours should look like this

dsc007737nt.jpg

Alright now! I hope everyone is successful as I was, and hope all you skeptics out there can take it easy and rest knowing someone already done this for you! hahahah Enjoy!

if you have any other questions or comments, just PM or reply! I'll be more than happy to help! I will also be posting a turbo bumper upgrade too for those who are interested later once i get my spare headlight washer parts in!

til then good reading folks :D :P

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Any reports on the performance of the turbo cluster? IS everything working as it should? Thanks

To reply on both of you , everything works fine, no incompatabilities or misinformation or wrong info reporting, all is nominal! the only thing i will say is if you do not have a certain feature set (i.e. if you don't have TPMS installed) it will error out. I'm going to install this myself, as I found out what the dealer does to install this, and have my local tire guy install the tire sensors for me.

hope this answers you all!

- Hunter

My tech guys failed to install the Turbo cluster on my Cayenne S ....

Its just making buzz sound and errors on the computers..

Either something wrong with yours or with mine..

Can you help?

Thanks a lot.

Mohamed

Ok guys, you've been waiting for this, and as promised, here is my brief, but descriptive walkthrough.

this is what you will need as the following:

Porsche Panel wedge tool

Screw Driver w/ T-20 bit and Flat head bit

Turbo Instrument Cluster

strong fingers!

Ok with that cleared away, here is the first step. Remove the black plastic gauge cover above the gauges. Use the wedge tool or , in this case I used my fingers! (don't use the fingers, i highly recomend not to , it hurts hahahah). Remember , you will need to apply gentle but enough pressure to detach the tabs off from the top cover of the dash that is over the cluster

dsc007609bg.jpg

dsc007578hv.jpg

As you can see, the reason why i say "gentle" is because you have the tabs, take them off or apply too much pressure, and those bad boys can break, if anyone had experience with plastic and heat, they can easily become brittle. Just make sure you use precaution.

dsc007595od.jpg

Next, there are 5 screws to detach the dash cluster cover. 4 screws are attached to the top of the gauge cluster, while one (in back) inside the housing is there to hold the cover in place on the main dash.

Remember, these are t-20 screws. two are parallel on each side , symmetrical to each other

dsc007584pw.jpg

The rear screw, is located in the center back of the gauge cluster cover. as illustrated here.

dsc007625cr.jpg

Once all screws are removed, just like the black pastic gauge cover, remove the upper gauge cover off gentley. They are tabbed in place, so apply the righ pressure.

Note: when you remove the cover, be sure you have the washer for the 5th screw. This holds and aligns the cover of the cluster in place. as shown here

dsc007635of.jpg

Once the top is off, you will need to gain access to the bottom half. this is where most of the work will be done. here are the major things you will need to do

- Remove trip pieces

- unscrew support holding ignition/key

- remove driver left AC vent

Lets begin with taking off the side cover where the fuse housing is and the AC vent. Use the wedge tool to open the side panel and to take the ac unit out. the AC unit pops out as an entire pice, though the trim may seperate, this is normal, but becareful , damaging the trim will result in a loose fit.

dsc007640fg.jpg

The reason for this to come out is there is a screw that holds the lower portion in place, which later will be necessary to access the bottom part of the instrument cluster

Next take off the trim. There are three screws, t-20's , that are behing them. use the wedge tool again, gentley take the trim off. Again use precaution when taking them out. the outer ignition/key cover is part of the trim. so make extra effort to be careful

dsc007653uh.jpg

Once the trim is removed, and the screws , make sure you remove the support ring , which holds the ignition key in place by way of screwing around the threads of the ignition. there is a special tool for this, but i used a flat head screwdriver to pussh along some tabs gentley till it was unscrewed. Repeat for the trim on the right near the windshield wiper control arm on the steering will. there should be two screws to take off. Also note, the screw inside the AC vent on the left driver side, it should be on the upper corner.

dsc007669lc.jpg

Next, once all screws have been removed, gentley remove the tabs off , again, use precaustion, these are tabs, and need to be taken off with extreme care avoiding damage to them, and causing not to fit properly

dsc007683ro.jpg

Once the bottom is removed, go ahead and take out the remaining two bottom screws that hold/support of the cluster. Again,these are t-20 screws

dsc007691ok.jpg

dsc007703yk.jpg

Once remove, it's self explanetory from there, there are a green and blue connector, with purple latches. unlatch both, and remove the old cluster. Put in the turbo cluster, and presto, turn your car on, and test the cluster b4 putting it back together. your cluster should then boot up and you will see what awaits!

Further notes - When you hook up your gauge cluster, you will hear a weird buzzing noise, that's ok, it's just the cluster responding to its connection. You will also notice that your milage should be at 0.0 for new clusters or whoever's previous milage was on it, if you bought it used. So be forwarned, My friend who knows vw/audi's said clusters like these have a tendancy to carry over their last cars info on milage over to whichever car they are being installed. So note to yourself, to write down your actual mileage.

Once done, and pre programed, go ahead and put everything back together, and yours should look like this

dsc007737nt.jpg

Alright now! I hope everyone is successful as I was, and hope all you skeptics out there can take it easy and rest knowing someone already done this for you! hahahah Enjoy!

if you have any other questions or comments, just PM or reply! I'll be more than happy to help! I will also be posting a turbo bumper upgrade too for those who are interested later once i get my spare headlight washer parts in!

til then good reading folks :D :P

• 6 months later...

I successfully installed a Turbo cluster into my 2004 Cayenne S. However, because my Cayenne does not have air suspension, the cluster displayes a warning, and I cannot move past the warning. It appears others have overcome this issue. I have recoded the cluster for the correct components; can someone share with me a fix for the air suspension or how to get the cluster reflashed/coded properly?

I just have a questin about the Odometer reading and any programing. The reason I ask is becuase I needed to replace the cluster in my M5 due to pixel failure and it would not work unless the Vin was programmed in and and if the mileage was lower then what was on mine then red dot appeared. So I got a cluster with about 14K more miles on it and had the dealership program the vin in. The could not adjust the OD due to chip inside was not writable.

I am wondering if anyone recieved the red "tamper" do or something similiar for those installing lower mileage clusters.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Ditto on what wvicary has said. It all really depends on a couple of things like where did you buy the cluster (i.e. ebay, junkyard or new from dealership) and also make sure that any codes you don't have, ask the dealer if they can disable it. Most of them they can, if not, then heck, it's just something you gotta live with. Or do like some have done, and just get the sensors installed.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys just got my cayenne a few months ago the cluster looks rly old fashion. Literally spent 2 hours reading about the cluster retrofitting, removing and installation everything is pretty straight forward. I also noticed that some folks were getting errors after the installation was done.  Well I have v6 base 2009 and planing to get a cluster from 4.8 turbo. it's 2009 as well. Does anyone know if there were any cluster mods to 2008-2009 models ? The cluster itself is 700 $ which i consider not a bad price compared to 2.5k from a local dealer but I'm a bit scared. Has anyone already retrofitted the cluster on 08-09 v6 ?  I called the local dealer in NY, Manhattan he couldn't provide any info simply stating that it won't fit nor the programming would work...  I did mention that many of you have done it already. I would greatly appreciate any help!