Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Cab Top Delamination

I just had a problem with my 1999 996 Cab top. The rear window began to delaminate from the canvas top. It looks like it was glued or welded together originally. The window is now sagging and it obviously looks very bad. I attached some pics.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone had this happen and what did you do?

2) Can anyone you all know repair this? (CA central valley or bay area)

3) What type of cost should I expect to repair this?

Thanks for any ideas / help.

Dan

Here are the pics:

post-2069-1148091022_thumb.jpg

post-2069-1148090996_thumb.jpg

You may need a new top. Many people had this and not have been able to glue it back.

There are a couple of upholstery shops that I recommend.

Palo Alto Upholstery and Premier Upholstery in Santa Clara are pretty good. Avoid Bascom Upholstery - very shady business owners that only care about money.

If you do decide to get a new top, GAHH now sells a glass window one for 99-01. They sell it on eBay and upholstery shop can put it in for you.

If coming up to San Jose is too far, you can order the top and have the dealer install it.

1) Has anyone had this happen and what did you do?

2) Can anyone you all know repair this? (CA central valley or bay area)

3) What type of cost should I expect to repair this?

There have been a couple of previous threads on this. A search will produce more detail, but here is the broad brush, as I know it:

There is a TSB regarding this and the approved fix .... IF the delamination does not exceed a couple of inches. Otherwise, TSB calls for replacement of the top.

1. yes. I had a new aftermarket top installed.

2. I looked all around Atlanta area, and received an offer to remove top, "attempt repair by stitching all around window", but without warranty of results: $600.

3. See #2. A new GAHH top, identical to OEM except for a ring of stitching around the window, cost me $1900 installed at indy shop recommended by dealer. Same shop would install OEM top for $3000.

I am very happy with my results.

I had this problem on my old '99 (since sold). The window separated about 2" from the canvas at one spot.

When replacing the window, I was told that half the time the zipper breaks. So they tried, and yep, zipper broke. Required new canvas. $1000 labor, and about $3000 parts later, new top and window looked fine.

Pissed me off...car was 3 months out of warranty and PAG told me to shove it.