Jump to content

The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About joee76

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender

Profile Fields

  • From
    Toronto, Canada
  • Porsche Club
    PCA (Porsche Club of America)
  • Present cars
    2007 Porsche Carrera 4S (biz car)
    2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L (family car)
    2004 Subaru Impreza (wife's car)
  1. Thanks ! It's been a longtime coming. Some of the options on the car: Aerokit, 19" Turbo Wheels, Sports Chrono Plus, Navi, Bose System, Adaptive Sport Seats, Rear Wiper, Parking Assist Sensors, Adaptive Sport Seats, Speed Yellow Instrument Dials, Sport Exhaust System, Sport Steering Wheel...
  2. After months of looking and test driving 997s, I finally found one that I was happy with -- my 2007 Speed Yellow Carrera 4S ! 3 years ago for my son's 1st birthday, I bought him a Speed Yellow Boxster toy car. Never in my dreams did I think I would stray from my usual silver (All my cars have been silver..until now) cars. But this Speed Yellow just screamed at me. And I couldn't pass it up. My son says to me, "Daddy, I'm glad we have matching cars now !" My heart melted. Now I have to find some child seats for the back so I can bus my kids to school !
  3. Thanks, I've contacted the seller and made arrangements for the dealership to do a PPI + DME readout. The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet, so we'll see what he says. In the interim, a CPO'd car just came on the market and I'll definitely entertain that one while I wait. You're right about no shortage. But I just fell in love with this yellow one and now it's so hard to look at anything else. The CPO'd one is slate grey. Both around the same price. Thanks for your advice.
  4. I know it's been beaten to death about getting a DME readout as part of a PPI when buying a used car, but has anyone ever bought a Porsche without doing a DME readout ? I'm looking at buying a car on Monday as there are a few others interested and the price is pretty good I think. Unfortunately, my mechanic does not have the tool to check the readouts and I can't schedule a PPI until at least a week out from any of the shops in my area. Thoughts ? or wait a week and chance losing the car ? Seller won't take a deposit to hold that long.
  5. I called off the deal. I noticed that they had sent me a carfax that was over 1 year old !!!! It wasn't even updated. Anyways, the updated carfax indicated had front end damage, not a door ding or bumper ding as they had guesstimated. Total lack of disclosure on their end. They didn't even try to get an answer for me. Thanks for everyone's advice.
  6. I've thought about this option for months already. I've been looking at other cars for sale in CAD that were US imports and they have been on the lot for ages...I think it'd be hard to sell a US car in Canada unless it was priced really aggressively. I guess to me, I wasn't sure how long I'd keep this car and selling a US car may be a headache. Here's the car I have left a deposit on: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/911/VICTORIA/British%20Columbia/5_9867683_CT20041026145235706/ I'm in at $58,600 which includes shipping to Toronto. Major service done, clutch replaced (updated IMS in the process)..PPI turned out really good...but it did show a minor leak in the RMS, which I'll have serviced under warranty. There's also an existing lien on it which they said Porsche will clear it today. The only flaw is the $3000 insurance claim, which is unexplained. I actually have the person's contact info and was thinking about calling him to get the details. Do you think that'd be creepy ? Then this popped up: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/911/CALGARY/Alberta/5_9205347_20060510081117400/ More heavily optioned, but no warranty and obviously a good chunk more $ After reading more and more about these cars, I just would not own a 997 without warranty. Maybe I've been reading waaaaaayyyyy too much lol
  7. So this what the dealer said they would add to the Bill of Sale: As far as the inspection, the BOS will read like this "Sold as Certified Pre-owned, fully inspected, full carproof disclosed and accepted by buyer, No undisclosed structural damage " If your independant inspector finds Structural damage that has not been disclosed, then we will discuss how to remedy the situation so that you are happy and we are happy too. Is that fair enough ? Not even close. In the first sentence, they are asking you to certify that you have made an independent decision to accept CarProof as a trusted source for anything that might be wrong with the car. Nevertheless, all of that could be fixed with just replacing the language in the second part of the second sentence to read as follows: "...then we will remedy the situation so that you are made whole." That would not be my first choice if I were drafting the clause, but it's one that they should not have a problem with. By that language, you are only asking them to guarantee that what they are claiming they are selling to you is what you are actually buying. In other words, you would not be offering the price that you have agreed to pay if the car actually had "undisclosed structural damage". Trust me when I tell you that in the unlikely event that the car does not check out, it is not legally possible for you to be happy when the dealer already has your money, with the language they are proposing. Right now you have all of the leverage because they still don't have your money. If you are going to get some language in there that will protect you, you have to do it before you fork it over. Don't get lost in the details. There are only two possibilities here: 1. If they have nothing to hide, they should not have any qualms about agreeing to this. 2. If they bought a car that may have sustained damage that they don't know about, that should not end up being your problem (or your loss). You are not asking for anything that is commercially unreasonable. Regards, Maurice. Thanks Maurice. Yes, after I received their wording (in blue), I called up a local shop to perform a PPI on it (as I indicated in my reply to Rob). I asked the dealer to drop off the car with this indy shop (owner is a well respected PCA member), who I spoke to on the phone. I haven't heard back from either the dealer or the shop. The only money on the table is my $5000 deposit, which is on my credit card to hold the car. I haven't signed anything yet, so I'm assuming, as with all dealers I've dealt with, that my deposit is fully refundable. They said they needed $5000 and 2 pieces of ID to draft up the bill of sale. Thanks for all your valuable advice. I'm a total noob when it comes down to buying used cars and this is my biggest purchase yet, so I'm super paranoid and want to make sure all my bases are covered.
  8. Thanks for your insight ! I fully agree. I ended up having a 3rd party indy shop do a PPI on it. I found the guy on a PCA forum and he's well respective and an active member of the PCA in that region. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that the town is so **** small, that they all know each other and I hope to God that there are no kick backs of some sort just to make the sale go through.
  9. So this what the dealer said they would add to the Bill of Sale: As far as the inspection, the BOS will read like this "Sold as Certified Pre-owned, fully inspected, full carproof disclosed and accepted by buyer, No undisclosed structural damage " If your independant inspector finds Structural damage that has not been disclosed, then we will discuss how to remedy the situation so that you are happy and we are happy too. Is that fair enough ?
  10. If you did physically go there to look at the car, you would not necessarily have to know what to look for yourself. If your only concern is whether there has been a major accident, you could take the car to any body shop with a lift and have them check the undercarriage. If there is anything suspicious, they will spot it pretty easily, and, if necessary, they can also take measurements and compare them with the figures published by Porsche. Another approach might be to tell the dealer your concern and to draft a side agreement to the contract that specifically provides that you will be afforded five days after delivery during which you can have the car inspected for any hidden major body damage. If such damage is found, you can be required to document the damage (with photos and a sworn affidavit from the body shop guy) before you are allowed to return the car, at the dealer's expense. Since it's a 997, and it's a Cab, AND you are in Canada, I'm sure we are not talking about a minor purchase here, so it might be a wise idea to act with deliberation. Regards, Maurice. Maurice, many thanks for taking time to reply. I'll definitely add that clause in the deal. Not sure what the reference to Canada meant, but ya, we definitely PAY more for our Porsche's here ! I can't imagine them putting up a stink about this, since they should be confident that there has been no structural damage after their 'extensive' CPO process. There was an insurance claim for $3000 on the carfax (car-proof in Canada), but it doesn't have any details about the incident. For all I know, it was just a paint job for a scratch or something, which is what they suspect.
  11. I put a deposit for a 997 Cab from an authorized Porsche dealer in another province (in Canada). They are going to shipped it across Canada over to my house. CarProof looks ok, and It is certified CPO. The dealer is on an island, so there isn't many indy shops I can take it to for a PPI. I have a new 2 years on the CPO, so I'm not too concerned about the engine, etc. But structural damage I'm a little worried a bit. Do you think it's safe to buy unseen, or is it worth the $1200 6-hour flight to check it out ? They seem reputable, but even if I went there, I don't even know what to look for.
  12. Thanks Matt. I do love the red. I use to have a Mazda RX7 TT in red and it was just gorgeous. I see your point about selling a car in red. I think it might be ok, since it's less common, but I'm just worried about the cocoa interior. I'm in Markham, ON
  13. I saw a 997 in Guards Red with full Cocoa leather interior. It looks really mint, but I don't see myself keeping it for long because eventually I do want my cabriolet. What are your thoughts on the color combo ? And do you think it's going to be really hard to sell ? I didn't like it at first but it's kind of growing on me. I prefer the tan/light brown interior, but in Canada, there is a major shortage of color options. I'm looking to pick up a car temporarily for this year while i get my scratch together for what i really want. Would love your thoughts on how this color combo might not be good for future resale. Thanks in advance.
  14. Hi White987S...so the Annual Maintenance check is just an inspection pretty much ? It doesn't appear to include an oil change, according to http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?a...aint_box_us_ann Thanks again for taking time to reply.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.