Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest
There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.
Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org
- View Classified Ads
- DIY Tutorials
- Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
- VIN Decoder
- Special Offers
OBD II P-Codes
- Paint Codes
- Videos System
- View Reviews
- and get rid of this welcome message
It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE
Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)
- No ads - advertisements are removed
- Access the Contributors Only Forum
- Contributing Members Only Downloads
- Send attachments with PMs
- All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
- Option Codes Lookup
- VIN Option Lookups (limited)
I have owned 5 911s (and a 944S) for over 66 vehicle years total. 911 oil gauge measurement is accurate only at idle/level ground/normal operating temperature. All other readings are meaningless. This is also true for the dip stick reading.
Thank you for your response, JFP. I apologize for not getting back sooner. Here in Jacksonville, Florida, vehicle inspections were discontinued more than a decade ago, so fortunately, this is not a problem for me. I have an (admittedly old) Schumacher (Sears) 1.5 amp on-board battery maintainer. The output during charging is only 0.6 amps (instead of the advertised 1.5) which I can live with. The output when the red charged light is on is 0.4 amps which I cannot, because this translates to almost 10 amp-hours each day overcharging the battery. I had been charging the battery 24-hours prior to use which was a pain. I had to fix the ubiquitous horn problem, so I left the battery disconnected for a week. Since I had no problem when the battery was reconnected, I installed a battery switch. Getting to the switch handle under the floor mat would have been yet another pain, so I installed a bolt through the battery switch handle and made a notched lever handle that would insert through a drilled hole in the floor mat and grab the bolt. The trunk light indicated whether the battery switch is engaged or not.
I have been recently retired and now drive less than 1,000 miles per year. Lately I have been recharging the batteries on my 944S and 993 weekly. I installed a battery switch on the 944S so that I would not have to charge this battery, but was leery of installing one on the '96 993 as I was unsure if the lack of power over a long period would have adverse affects on the electronics such as the ignition disabling mechanism. Does anyone know if installing a battery switch would be a problem for this vehicle?