So, I am buying my soon to be 16year old son a car. I have settled on a budget of 25k USD. After much ado and discussion, my wife (what a saint) chimed in and said, "I am tired of seeing grey-haired men driving cool looking cars". She suggested an older porsche!!! So, we are seriously considering a 2000 to 2002 996. Needless to say, my son is on board. This will certainly go a long way in the "cool" factor and "chick" factor for my near 16 year old. I guess I am buying him the car I wish i had when I was that age. I know it is insane of me, but for 25k, would he/I rather get a nice late model Honda Accord, or a 10 year old 996 with the aero kit??? With all of that said, we do have some things to consider that I would like feedback on. This car will not be garaged. it will not be babied. It will be driven every day (at least 30 miles roundtrip to his school). I expect in three or four years it will not look as good as it does not...but so what...have fun. I have rationalized my expectation on maintenance (plus or minus 3k per year) with the thought that it will not depreciate as much as said Accord. The questions I have are:
1) Fear of total engine failure (too much reading about IMS/RMS issues?
2) Should we focus more on lower miles or later year...e.g. is a 2003 with 65,000 miles better than a 1999 with 30,000 miles or vice versa?
3) What about Cabriolet versus Coupe (remember...never going to be garaged...also, is one safer than the other)?
4) Interior color...does it matter...my son likes black?
5) What am I missing...what should we be considering?
I am interested in any thoughts on this. By the way, the insurance is no worse than any other cool or semi cool car (e.g. 2007 Mustang GT, 2004 E46 M3, etc.). It isn't even much worse than that Accord I mentioned. Being 16 is the issue, not so much the car...so what the heck!