Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil change

My local OPC has quoted me stupid money to change the oil in my 987S at 10k miles (only £100 less than a full service !!), especially given that the car would be in and on the ramps for the TSB on the pressure relief value in any case.

So i'm doing it myself :D using new filter, seal ring and alum crush washer for the drain plug.

My only concern is how to prevent the ECU registering a low oil warning (previous BMWs and Mercs have shown this on the dealer diagnostics during routine services).

Presumably disconnecting the battery first wil help, but is the low oil warning cuased by the level gauge or by low pressure when restarting the engine.

If the latter will filling the oil filter cannister before refitting help ??

Sorry if i sound paranoid, but Porsche GB need no extra excuses not to pay out if the engine goes pop in the future :(

Edited by percymon

Hmmm perhaps i just posted this in the wrong section as no response ?

Oh well,, i will be changing the oil in the morning, got the filter from the Porsche dealer, and my Porsche approved oil arrived mail order yesterday.

Easy 30 minutes to change the oil over i guess - won't be disconnecting the battery, will just take the chance that nothing logs on the ECU.

Just change the oul and don't worry about the ecu. I have not had problems with low oil messages after several oil changes on a '98 Boxster and '02 Carrera. I would just focus on doing a proper ol change.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i changed the oil anyway - i didn't prefill the oil filter container before refitting, just fitted dry and added 8 litres of oil - restrated engine after letting it settle for a few minutes after filling, and low oil pressure warnign on the OBC. The oil pressure light went out after 2 seconds as you'd expect.

Fault will be logged in the diagnostics, but at least i recorded the mileage, and used Porsche approved oil and all the parts were supplied by the dealer.

On a side note, the oil i drained out was very clear, with only a slight dark tinge to it, not bad after 10k miles