Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Possible to date/time fix DME ignition events?

If you have already read this on other forums, sorry – move on.

Just about a week to go before I collect my new C2S. For insurance purposes I had to contact the dealer to get delivery mileage which turns out to be 26 miles. Initially I thought this was high but a quick search showed this to be about the average. However, I then started worrying about what might have happened during those 26 miles, I know some 997 owners have had warranty disputes because of the number of ignitions in ranges 1 to 6 shown on DME data analysis. Hence my question; can the number of ignitions in the ranges 1 to 6 be analysed by date or time such that any mistreatment prior to delivery can be isolated and identified as such? Or is the only safe option to get a DME print-out before taking delivery and has anyone done this?

Information on DME data can be found at: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0...part=5&vc=1

• Moderators

The 'vin covered" picture in the link is one I took several years ago of a 2000 Boxster S at a tech session. That car is still running.

I am not positive about the new cars. On the older models the Range X incidents were based on engine operating hours, not a time or date.

When they PDI your car at your dealer it will be hooked up to the PIWIS. Ask them to print out a working log and give it to you so you can see if there are any incidents. I do not know anyone who has done this, but it can't hurt to ask.

The cars are limited to 20 mph when they leave the factory. This speed limit is removed by the PIWIS at the dealer. Hard to imagine doing damage on the trip from Germany to your dealer with a 20 mph limit, but stranger things have happened.

post-4-1156438746_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It is still running - on it's second engine. :rolleyes:

The engine had been replaced before the picture was taken, so the combined info is shown.

Now this 1998 Boxster is a strange one. Minus 1 in Range 1. Something about the memory chip running out of room and the counter starts over with minus numbers. The owner autocrosses. We have another owner with high numbers and he also autocrosses.

post-4-1156454535_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
When they PDI your car at your dealer it will be hooked up to the PIWIS. Ask them to print out a working log and give it to you so you can see if there are any incidents. I do not know anyone who has done this, but it can't hurt to ask.

Dealer obliged and provided a print out dated and timed just a couple of hour before I collected the car. Zero ignitions recorded across the entire range. Operating hours counter was 3.000 and total distance was 36.000 (km I presume). Odometer reading was 26 miles which is 42km so a little confused about this. Still its nice to have a little more information on the cars short history.