Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS leak symptoms?

Sorry if this is an oft-posted question but I'm in a tiny bit of a panic.

What are the symptoms of an RMS leak? Is there visible amounts of oil leaking? If so, where would one expect to see it?

My '99 has 50K miles on it and I noticed this morning there was a small pool of oil collected on my garage floor just in front on the rear passenger side tire. This is the first time I have seen any oil on the floor. The car sits mostly as it is my weekend car and has been infrequently driven lately. (No time to enjoy the Boxster.) I bought it with just over 48K miles on it and it had a final pre-warranty expiration check up at Claridges.

I'm obviously a bit concerned but there is some extra concern as I am supposed to track the car in a couple of weeks.

TIA

• Moderators

Where the engine bolts to the transmission there is a small hole and the oil can drip out of there. This would be right in the middle of the car if it is the RMS. If your leak is on the side then it may be the cam cover or the spark plug tubes. Oil likes to move around. You have to get under there and look for the source.

Thanks Jeff!

The last time I was under the car I remember seeing the tray under the engine but I don't remember its exact configuration. Can the oil, if it is coming from the RMS, drip down onto the undertray and then run out the right side? Or if it's from the RMS does it tend to drip straight down unimpeded?

What is your opinion of running the car so long as I keep the oil topped up? I don't really want to cancel the track school but of course I don't want to kill my car either.

Thanks again.

• Moderators

If it is from the RMS or the intermediate shaft it will drip straight down to the ground and not hit anything. The oil spot on the ground is normally right in the middle.

The oil can sometimes get in the clutch but that is unusual, and you would know it right away. Since your car is out of factory warranty I would not deal with it until it is time for a clutch replacement if it is the RMS or intermediate shaft seals. Most likely it is the cam cover or seals or spark plug tubes or oil filler pipe or one of the 100 other places a motor can leak. If you are in the San Jose area stop by our work on cars day and we will jack it up and find out for sure where it is comming from.

Having owned a few English cars and motorcycles...... Oil on the floor is good. Tells you there is still some in the motor. :rolleyes: