Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing PCM-- worth it?

I have a 987S that I am going to either trade to a dealer or sell to someone.

It has PCM Navigation that I had installed last year. Cost me a bundle (~$4k!). I kept the original radio.

As you may know, having navigation or not changes the car's resale value by about $0.02 :)

Do you think I would get much for having the PCM taken out and then selling it on ebay?

The dealer claims it will cost $500-$1k to take it out, so I need to make a reasonable amount above that to justify the expense. Because it's a MOST bus thing, I can't have my favorite independent shop do the uninstall. They can't reprogram the 987S' computer.

Any opinions out there? I'm really stuck on this one.

tmc

I have a 987S that I am going to either trade to a dealer or sell to someone.

It has PCM Navigation that I had installed last year. Cost me a bundle (~$4k!). I kept the original radio.

As you may know, having navigation or not changes the car's resale value by about $0.02 :)

Do you think I would get much for having the PCM taken out and then selling it on ebay?

The dealer claims it will cost $500-$1k to take it out, so I need to make a reasonable amount above that to justify the expense. Because it's a MOST bus thing, I can't have my favorite independent shop do the uninstall. They can't reprogram the 987S' computer.

Any opinions out there? I'm really stuck on this one.

tmc

They are really going to charge that much ($500+) just to remove it? Assuming that they have to also program it into the car, what did that cost?

I would consider buying one of these, but I didn't know that they cost so much to install?

Unfortunately the hardware is not a DIY install , so there isn't a high demand for the equipment and the resale value may not make it worth taking it out. Typically the PCM units sell on e bay for about 700-800 USD and the DVD drives for about 200 USD. The higher figures of 2000 USD are usually complete systems supplied by those that can install it for you. To be honest , with so many 987's for sale on the market , you may be better leaving the PCM in the car and using this as a selling point to move the car on quickly. Sell the old radio on E bay, as there will be more people looking for a like for like swap with broken or damaged units.