Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

help needed with window regulator repair

replacing window regulator. everything is going great, easy to do...i'm sure the fun will come in the post install adjustments as I had air leaks that needed tweaked anyways.

the new regulator assembly came with a small bag with two part and a rivet nail (see photo). i'm hoping these are for a 996 install as i see no part on the existing regulator that corresponds nor any reference in Bentley or other writeups (such as bombaydigital).

i'll finish the install in the morning so I'd appreciate any input tonight before i finish up tomorrow.

shawn

post-13335-1163211091_thumb.jpg

I did this repair a short while ago. On the rail that is closer to the front of your door, you will see that there is already one of those white plastic things riveted in. I'm not sure if that existing one is for a 996, but for your Boxster, you will need to rivet the plastic item from your bag right above it. There is a little slot and setting for you to place it and you will need a pop rivet gun to apply it. If you don't apply the extra plastic piece and rubber grommet, your window will rattle when you close your door.

I did this repair a short while ago. On the rail that is closer to the front of your door, you will see that there is already one of those white plastic things riveted in. I'm not sure if that existing one is for a 996, but for your Boxster, you will need to rivet the plastic item from your bag right above it. There is a little slot and setting for you to place it and you will need a pop rivet gun to apply it. If you don't apply the extra plastic piece and rubber grommet, your window will rattle when you close your door.

thanks. interesting but there is nothing similar on my early model 97. there is a blue plastic hump on the lower front rail but it doesn't match what is in the bag.

anyone got a photo?

EDIT: I just added two photos of what may be the need on mine...as I don't see such a piece of plastic on the new regulator. The design is 100% differnt then what is in the bag, so I don't have a clue how it attaches!

See images...

post-13335-1163214891_thumb.jpg

post-13335-1163214902_thumb.jpg

Edited by rsfeller

ok i may have found a fit for this gimzo that doesn't match anything on my current door. it looks like it could go on the window clamp but once again with no photo, TSB or exisiting reference it could go on two differnt ways...

still looking for help here!

I've only replaced one regulator before and that was years ago on a '99 boxster. I don't remember anything like whats in your first pics.... sorry I can't be of more help. I'll have a look through the factory manuals and Alldata to see if they show anything and post what I find if anything.

We'll here is what I finally figured out. There was one reference to +rivet & +window on the 996 board and I found a photo to the so called rivet/stop here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=rivet++window

With help from that post I determined that a 996 window "bump stop" is already installed on the front regular at the bottom to prevent window travel being stopped by bottom of door. Therefor that parts in the bag are for a Boxster. The 996 window travel is farther for some reason. (maybe someone knows why). I really didn't see the need until after the regulator was installed.

Looking at my photo at the bottom. I was still able to (barely) rivet in the hardware with the regulator installed. This is looking into the drivers door at the front regulator at the very bottom. The "bump stop" is on the back side rubber side up.

If you have an early model 1997 986 like me I would not re-install the blue stopper in the rail. I was going to do this and determined that the cable does rub on it and can get caught under it while installing it, if done incorrectly. This solution was obviously an upgrade to accomodate an inexpensive solution for both the 996 and 986.

post-13335-1163276386_thumb.jpg

Edited by rsfeller

i had my regulator installed for 30 bux in about an hour, maybe u should take it in somewhere and not even bother...

but then again u will miss on the satisfaction that u fixed something on ur porsche

Edited by djomlas

i had my regulator installed for 30 bux in about an hour, maybe u should take it in somewhere and not even bother...

but then again u will miss on the satisfaction that u fixed something on ur porsche

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure solutions on DIY boards include "taking to the repair shop"!

I don't doubt you had it done that cheap but that is one in a million...I"m quite sure there is NOBODY in the my area that would remotely know how to pull apart a porsche without breaking clips for let alone for $30. it's a two hour job minimum not including adjustments (if needed).

where do you go that they charge $30 an hour for Porsche repairs...could be worth it for a few of us to drive several hundred miles at that cost!

Edited by rsfeller

We'll here is what I finally figured out. There was one reference to +rivet & +window on the 996 board and I found a photo to the so called rivet/stop here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=rivet++window

With help from that post I determined that a 996 window "bump stop" is already installed on the front regular at the bottom to prevent window travel being stopped by bottom of door. Therefor that parts in the bag are for a Boxster. The 996 window travel is farther for some reason. (maybe someone knows why). I really didn't see the need until after the regulator was installed.

Looking at my photo at the bottom. I was still able to (barely) rivet in the hardware with the regulator installed. This is looking into the drivers door at the front regulator at the very bottom. The "bump stop" is on the back side rubber side up.

If you have an early model 1997 986 like me I would not re-install the blue stopper in the rail. I was going to do this and determined that the cable does rub on it and can get caught under it while installing it, if done incorrectly. This solution was obviously an upgrade to accomodate an inexpensive solution for both the 996 and 986.

Sorry for the late reply - haven't had much time lately to check the board. You pretty much got it right with this picture. When I did this install, I didn't rivet in that extra stopper. As a result, whenever I closed my door, the window would make an extremely annoying rattle. It really does serve a purpose - I learned that the hard way by doing it twice!

• Moderators

Replacement regulators use to come with 2 stops installed that were blue plastic and were held in place with a torx screw. You left in the upper stop for a Boxster.

The new replacement regulators I have seen come with the lower stop riveted in place. The upper stop and rivet is in a plastic bag. Those stops are white plastic.

Did not ask the mechanic why the window travel is different on 986/996.

At least that is what I remember.

post-4-1163513716_thumb.jpg

post-4-1163513781_thumb.jpg

• Like 1