Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I've searched long and hard but haven't found the answers to my following questions.

Got this hellacious convertible top guy that was to do some free warranty work for me.

This guy was to do warranty repairs to a replacement top malfunction from the previous owner.

I fear he has ruined the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. I'll try to be brief.

Anyway after all kinds of BS and scamming I got the new top after parting with $600.00. So much for free!!!

When I tried the new top for the first time there were all kinds of pops and cracks and the control link with the red bushing broke. That was the second one since I delivered my car to the guy.

I've got the new control arm and ball socket and I am worried that if I just put it on and try the top I'll break it again.

Does anyone know if it can be measured and set before functioning to avoid more broken parts?

All the best

Tom

I would check the TSB's for replacement of the drives and adjustment. Also see manuals. As a start I set the arms to the same length as the old ones. Having been through this I would spend the bucks for the replacement drives. I remember getting it all done with the older drives and then having big problems again....

"Mission accomplished" for real.

Answered my own question.

1. Set timing with a level like show here on the forum. - Worked very well. See the picture.

post-14406-1163352085.jpg

2. I installed and tightened the rods and left the middle adjuster nuts loose, removed those plastic side shields and then I put everything to the closed position but left the back section of the top up (I had to remove the cable at the metal ball sockets from the back of the top). I made sure the clamshell was full down.

3. With the side plastic shields removed, the adjuster nut was accessible. I was able to tighten the nut and after four test cycles I can say there was not a squeak or a pop.

Checked all my cables and they seem to be the type with the re-inforced sheath.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Also cleaned the MAF and what a difference. It's like a new car.