Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing GT3 Mk.2 top wing?

pmjt

I've managed to obtain a GT3 RS carbon fibre wing for a good price - before I start getting into trouble :( How do I remove the old wing?

I can see the two caps on the inside of each wing pillar and guess that under these there is a hex bolt or something?

Does anyone know the procedure for removing and refitting? Is there anything to be cautious of? :help:

Many thanks in advance

Philip

I've managed to obtain a GT3 RS carbon fibre wing for a good price - before I start getting into trouble :( How do I remove the old wing?

I can see the two caps on the inside of each wing pillar and guess that under these there is a hex bolt or something?

Does anyone know the procedure for removing and refitting? Is there anything to be cautious of? :help:

Many thanks in advance

Philip

Pop the caps. You will see torx screws. You will need to completely unscrew them. Be careful to keep control of the screw lest it drop into the body cavity. Lift the wing up from the rear edge until you feel resistance. There is a small button latch on each side that you will need to depress to continue free movement. Once past that point, it wll lift out.

The cf wing slides in similarly. Seat the front of the wing on the stanchion, insert the guides into the slots. Move it down. You will hear it as you pass the button latches. Screw it into place.

Voila, will look like mine! :beer:

Edited by ltcjmramos

Pop the caps. You will see torx screws. You will need to completely unscrew them. Be careful to keep control of the screw lest it drop into the body cavity. Lift the wing up from the rear edge until you feel resistance. There is a small button latch on each side that you will need to depress to continue free movement. Once past that point, it wll lift out.

The cf wing slides in similarly. Seat the front of the wing on the stanchion, insert the guides into the slots. Move it down. You will hear it as you pass the button latches. Screw it into place.

Voila, will look like mine! :beer:

Woohoo - thanks I guessed it would be easy enough - just wanted to be sure there wasn't a catch :) Looks like I'll be in the garage tomorrow morning :D

Love to see a photo of yours - I can't decide whether to leave it in CF of paint it guards to match the car :unsure:

Thanks again

Philip

Woohoo - thanks I guessed it would be easy enough - just wanted to be sure there wasn't a catch :) Looks like I'll be in the garage tomorrow morning :D

Love to see a photo of yours - I can't decide whether to leave it in CF of paint it guards to match the car :unsure:

Thanks again

Philip

Left mine cf since I have Forgeline SX3 wheels, black centers/polished rims. They complement each other. Also, have the RS vented hood, so a bit of black in the grill coverings there. too.

post-1805-1163877836.jpg

post-1805-1163878728_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltcjmramos

Many thanks for the instructions - it was incredibly simple (as I thought it would be) but approached the job with much more confidence with your advice - thanks :)

Here's a couple of pictures post install - I've decided I'm going to run with the cf finish for a week or two before I decide to paint it - the winglets need minor refurb of the laquer (why I got it so cheap :D ) so either way so I'm going to hold off painting.

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

(sorry for the lousy shots - it's been dark and overcast all afternoon)

Philip

(sorry for the lousy shots - it's been dark and overcast all afternoon)

Philip

"dark and overcast" in England? How can that be?

But same here. I live on the Coast just South of San Francisco. We get more than our share of marine layer.

I saw the pics over on Rennlist of the SY with its winglets painted. I really like that look, and may go that route, but, for now, I like the cf to complement my wheels.

post-1805-1163956729_thumb.jpg

Edited by ltcjmramos

Don't! It's soooo depressing :angry: It was glorious sunshine (but chilly at 1degree c) this morning - thought "great - get out and enjoy it!" by the time I went outside the sun had gone :help:

I saw the pics over on Rennlist of the SY with its winglets painted. I really like that look, and may go that route, but, for now, I like the cf to complement my wheels.

I don't mean to be a copy cat - but I'm looking for a scrappy set of wheels I can refurb.....in black :thumbup:

Philip

Don't! It's soooo depressing :angry: It was glorious sunshine (but chilly at 1degree c) this morning - thought "great - get out and enjoy it!" by the time I went outside the sun had gone :help:

I don't mean to be a copy cat - but I'm looking for a scrappy set of wheels I can refurb.....in black :thumbup:

Philip

Guys,

Great photos and job on the wing. I have a red GT3 and am thinking of something similar. How did this impact the control on the track (i.e. at DEs).

Thanks

Great photos and job on the wing. I have a red GT3 and am thinking of something similar. How did this impact the control on the track (i.e. at DEs).

Sorry - I've only driven her about 20 miles since doing the job - the weather over here is not good enough to venture too far in a car with no traction control :eek:

However, I think I noticed more downforce on the rear end above 40mph ish - front felt a little lighter - which I suppose is kind of logical :unsure:

I'll be out in her some more at the end of the week when the weather is due to improve and I'll let you know.

Philip

Sorry - I've only driven her about 20 miles since doing the job - the weather over here is not good enough to venture too far in a car with no traction control :eek:

However, I think I noticed more downforce on the rear end above 40mph ish - front felt a little lighter - which I suppose is kind of logical :unsure:

I'll be out in her some more at the end of the week when the weather is due to improve and I'll let you know.

Philip

Thanks. Great looking car.

Guys,

Thanks

My uneducated butt couldn't tell you if it really made a difference. I've done about 20 days of DEs with the car. The first 3-4 were with the stock wing, and I was taking it fairly easy learning how to drive a Porsche with its unique dynamics. Once I was comfortable with the car and wringing it out, the cf wing was already on.

I've been told it increases downforce, and, of course, since I spent $$$, it must. BTW, I also put a set of the shims under it to further increase the downforce.

Edited by ltcjmramos