Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installation of the factory Xenon lights?

Due to the lack of success and interest in the DIY HID project on my Canadian spec 2006 Boxster, I am now investigating the installation of the factory Litronic (Bi-Xenon) kit.

Is this a DIY project, it may help is to know what is done (by the dealer) when you add Porsche's own Litronic assemblies?

Has anybody added Litronics to a 987 and know what is in the kit, and what any instructions that may come with the kit say? I did find a Porsche installation document for the 986, does anybody have the equivelant for a 987?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• 1 month later...

I have factory fit Xenon (gas discharge) on both my Boxster and VW. I would assume that both systems work in a similar way. First there is the headlamp unit itself which is different to the normal headlamp as it has adjusters for the angle of the beam up and down , driven by servo motors. Secondly there will be a tilt or angle sensor , normally mounted on the front and rear axle. This will feed into the ECU to adjust the beam up or down depending if the car is accelerating or braking , or with a load in the front/ rear trunk. Next up is the headlamp wash system which is usually a second pump fitted to the washer bottle with an additional relay to only activate the washers when the lights are on. Finally, I would expect the ECU needs to be reprogrammed to tell it that gas discharge lights are fitted as these draw a much lower current than stock bulbs. Retro fitting the whole kit sounds expensive to me. Have you considered one of the aftermarket HID kits that simply replace the stock bulbs for D2S or D2R gas discharge units with the ballast fitted in the rear of the existing headlamp unit? It may be that the ECU will throw a fault for the lower current , but this may be able to be turned off by the dealer or overcome by fitting a resistor in the headlamp circuit. Try ebay or HID4u.co.uk for some ideas on prices.

Thanks for the reply Berty987, I did look into the factory upgrade and found that it was really expensive something like $1500 so I ordered an aftermarket HID kit.

Now I have run into a situation where the factory wiring won't run the HID kit so I am trying to figure out a way to control a relay to power them directly from the battery. Problem is, finding a switched signal (not the factory lights) that can turn the relay on/off when the car is turned on/off.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Al