Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A switched voltage source when the headlights are on.

If you're just running a relay, tap into the power feed for one of the headlights. When the light is turned on, the relay will actuate. I wouldn't use that feed to run anything else though.

Oh, and be sure to add a fuse.

Edited by pjslowik

If you're just running a relay, tap into the power feed for one of the headlights. When the light is turned on, the relay will actuate. I wouldn't use that feed to run anything else though.

Oh, and be sure to add a fuse.

That won't work on my car, the voltage is not constant at the headlight. See the attached photo... all the relay did was buzz!

post-13113-1170455883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Westcoaster

I can't quite make out the settings on the scope. But, if you have hid's, did you tap before or after the power module? You would have to tap the DC feed to the power module. Where did you probe with the scope? I'll have to look at a drawing, but if you're proficient with the scope you prob kbow what you're doing anyway.

I see what you are trying to do by your other post. HID runs on AC and the square wave is the clipped AC needed to boost the 14VDC to 20Kv. Seems to me that the input should be clean. Keep in mind that once HIDs start and fail, they need a cool-down time before they'll light.

Sorry, but I think the only correct and legal way to convert to HID is spending the grand for the factory retrofit kit. Good luck though.

I see what you are trying to do by your other post. HID runs on AC and the square wave is the clipped AC needed to boost the 14VDC to 20Kv. Seems to me that the input should be clean. Keep in mind that once HIDs start and fail, they need a cool-down time before they'll light.

Sorry, but I think the only correct and legal way to convert to HID is spending the grand for the factory retrofit kit. Good luck though.

Actually my car came stock with regular halogens, although it is a Canadian spec car so it also has DRL activated. The signal shown on the scope was taken right at the headlight bulb connector where I would have expected a solid DC voltage. What I saw was a 14v DC signal with a dropout every 9 ms.

So that is why I am in search of a trigger for the relay, that way I could run the aftermarket HID kit powered through a relay directly connected to the battery. What I want is a clean source of 12v that is only 'on' when either the car is running or the headlights are in the 'on' position.

As for legality, yes I know the story around HID's, self-leveling and washers however; this car has projector style lamps that provide a precise cutoff effectively controlling the light throw from the lens (I suspect nearly identical to the factory HID), the only things missing would be the self leveling (a small issue) and the washers (my car is never dirty! :clapping: )

I appreciate any other ideas you might have, Thanks for reading this and the other posts for background)!