Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Guys:

My MY99 Carrera C2 left me stranded today. I tried to start it ( not the 1st time today) and it did not, waited the reglamentary 10 seconds and nothing, nada.

All the lights were lit, the windows worked but no start. Tried to jump start it but nothing. The jumper cables were quite thin and the donor car was a small 4 cilinder Cion.

Could the quality of the jumper cables and the donor's battery be a reason why my car would not start?

Was able to start the car by push starting it. Placed the car in 2nd gear, had some friends push it, after some speed disengaged the clutch and the car started right away.

Could it be a bad battery?

Please help

Hi Guys:

My MY99 Carrera C2 left me stranded today. I tried to start it ( not the 1st time today) and it did not, waited the reglamentary 10 seconds and nothing, nada.

All the lights were lit, the windows worked but no start. Tried to jump start it but nothing. The jumper cables were quite thin and the donor car was a small 4 cilinder Cion.

Could the quality of the jumper cables and the donor's battery be a reason why my car would not start?

Was able to start the car by push starting it. Placed the car in 2nd gear, had some friends push it, after some speed disengaged the clutch and the car started right away.

Could it be a bad battery?

Please help

Could be any number of things, i.e. starter switch, starter going bad, battery, etc. Battery can be checked with a load tester at any Sears, PepBoys. Have you noticed it being more di

fficult to start over the past several days ( assuming its a daily driver) or was it just today the problem occurred?? how old is battery?? Everyone seems to only get 3-4 years use before replacement.

The fact that you could get it started by rolling it in 2nd gear suggests the alternator is fine and lastly, what does your voltmeter on your dash read before you try and engage starter?? It should read 12 volts at least on your gauge if the battery is able to hold a charge.

Battery check is usually a "freebie" test at automotive centers so equiped with a battery load tester. this should be an easy one to remedy. :thumbup:

Good luck!! demosan

Thanks demosan.

Don'y know how old is the battery. The car has been kind of slugish to start, it is not like: broooom, but woob, woob broom (hope the description make sense). In several ocacions due to clutch release and gas pedal coordination the car stopped (user error), waited the reglamentary 10 second and it started. Just tried to start the car after being in the garage for about 2 to 3 hrs (and reading your comments); the needle was just below the 12, tried to start and no go, tried the second time and started with my description of slugish, the needle went up close to 14. The car is not a daily driver it is bassicaly a half weekend driver.

You mentioned the switch but when the car was push started the switch was engaged, could still be a switch issue?

The alternator needle when 1st started after several days in the garage goes to the 14 the goes down in between 14 and 12.

In regards to the starter motor, when tried to start the car during today's tamtrumthere was never a tac tac tac noise like when the starter has problems, be advise this is my 1st Porsche, maybe other cars do the tac tac when there is a starter issue but Porsche may behave differently.

Thanks demosan.

Don'y know how old is the battery. The car has been kind of slugish to start, it is not like: broooom, but woob, woob broom (hope the description make sense). In several ocacions due to clutch release and gas pedal coordination the car stopped (user error), waited the reglamentary 10 second and it started. Just tried to start the car after being in the garage for about 2 to 3 hrs (and reading your comments); the needle was just below the 12, tried to start and no go, tried the second time and started with my description of slugish, the needle went up close to 14. The car is not a daily driver it is bassicaly a half weekend driver.

You mentioned the switch but when the car was push started the switch was engaged, could still be a switch issue?

The alternator needle when 1st started after several days in the garage goes to the 14 the goes down in between 14 and 12.

In regards to the starter motor, when tried to start the car during today's tamtrumthere was never a tac tac tac noise like when the starter has problems, be advise this is my 1st Porsche, maybe other cars do the tac tac when there is a starter issue but Porsche may behave differently.

Based on what you describe it sounds to me as if it is the ignition switch. WHen you attempt t ostart car, you go to position 2 of the switchand then allow switch to spring back to position 1 when car is running. Position 2 of switch sounds intermittent . However, before you attempt any repairs do the simple battery test at any automotive service center to insure battery is OK.

If you do a search for ignition switch replacement/repairs you ca nread about the switch repair, but get that battery checked ASAP

demosan