Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question about adding more oil to the 996 GT3

RJFabCab

The oil filler tube contains a dipstick inside of it.

When you're adding oil to the car, do you leave the dipstick in place and then pour around it?

Or, do you take the dipstick out and then pour down 'both' tubes?

The manual is not clear on this.

It seems like it would take forever to add 8-9 liters with the dipstick in place.

Cheers

• Moderators

Hey RJ..... Yeh, the GT3 motor has the dip stick in the filler tube. Probably says "Cup" on the handle-loop of the stick. Bottom line, the stick is more trouble than it's worth. I remove the thing when filling with oil...as you point out, it just gets in the way. When it's full of fresh oil, if you try to measure the fill with the stick (engine hot, idling), the oil is too clean to see when the level is on the stick, anyway. I just use the electic dash read out to evaluate oil level. The coolest thing about the dip stick is the "Cup" label!!

BTW, FWIW, since oil expands when it gets hot, I like to run the level 1-2 marks from the top on the dash read-out when warm. I fill up with about 8+ quarts.....warm the engine (on the same flat parking place in the garage, since the reading changes if the car is not level), measure the level with the dash read-out, then add enough to get the reading where I want it. ....and once I tried to pour the oil in too quickly...it overflowed and made a mess....so, have patience.

the oil is too clean to see when the level is on the stick, anyway. I just use the electic dash read out to evaluate oil level.

Craig, thanks for the reply.

I did a thorough draining and then refilled her with 7.75 US quarts... just to be safe. I couldn't see squat with the dipstick for the very reason you mention above. :blink:

But the dipstick proves it... I have a Cup car! :lol:

Anyhow, .25 quarts more and the e-gauge read about one bar above the middle of the range. I barely got in 8 quarts. It's far too easy to overfill the engine. I ended up filling the oil with the dipstick removed.

Cheers

Edited by RJFabCab

I also remove the dipstick to add oil. Otherwise it's a pain. BTW, the first time I tried to check the oil level using the dipstick, I panicked, as there was no visible oil on the stick (I followed all the instructions and procedures in the manual), and yet the electronic gauge on the onboard computer displayed half full. I had just changed the oil and filter at my dealer. So I called my service adviser, and also the adviser at the Brumo in Florida. They both told me that I did not need to bother with the dipstick because the e-gauge on the OBC is highly accurate. Nevertheless I added 250 ml of 0W40 oil (one measuring cup) which raised the level by one segment (1 segment= 0.25 liter per manual).

The oil quanity with filter is 9 liter (9.6 Quarts) for GT 3, according to the owner's manual. Does this number represent the total amount (capacity) so that the quantity to be repalced is less than that?

Thanks for the info and advice

Regards,

Ali

• 4 months later...

If you want to check the oil using the dipstick - and if the oil is so clean you can't see it on the dipstick, touch the dipstick to a white paper towel. You will clearly see the oil on the paper towel and thus be able to measure it against the dipstick to determine the quantity.

Gorman

...So I called my service adviser, and also the adviser at the Brumo in Florida. They both told me that I did not need to bother with the dipstick because the e-gauge on the OBC is highly accurate. ...

Ali

Interestingly, my service adviser and tech tell me to disregard the e-gauge because it's not accurate. And, according to the tech, this doesn't pertain just to my car.

Several months ago, I had my car in to have a thicker steering wheel installed. The tech who handles my car exclusively drove it out, and informed me that the e-gauge showed I was low on oil. I reminded him that he had just done a 15K mile service a few weeks prior, and I had not been on the track with the car. We checked the e-gauge again, 2 marks down. Checked via dipstick, right at the top. This has continued to be the case over many months. I rely on the dipstick over the e-gauge. Of course, YMMV.