Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help required - Toolpants

I have a European spec 987 s , it is fitted with the factory security system including immobiliser, separate horn and interior sensing with luggage comparments. In the Uk I am told all UK spec cars are fitted with an additional battery backed up siren and tilt sensor. The part code for this additional equipment is I536 and consists of siren 955 618 237 01 and tilt sensor 997 618 265 00. There is no mention in the parts list of it being specific for Uk vehicle ie only available RHD or with option IC61 (uk) so i am assuming that all porsche 987's carry the same wiring loom to allow retro fittment. I contacted Porsche Uk but there seems to be some disagreement between porsche Uk and local dealers as to whether the wiring is in existance and also if it can be retro fitted. Any technical people out there that can shed some light on this? Also it would help if i knew where the tilt sensor and battery backed up siren were supposed to be fitted , so i can check for plugs myself. Thanks

Not sure on a 987 but on the 986 the siren and tilt sensor are located near the left side of the battery as viewed from the drivers seat. The UK spec cars had a sperate siren for the alarm while the US spec cars used a small horn for the alarm. I've no idea as to the wiring harness......

• Moderators

I am in the US and we do not have the alarm siren/tilt sensor. Never seen it in person. Just pictures of it you UK guys take for me. There is a retrofit kit for the 986 - I know because I thought of buying it but it had to be ordered from Germany, but was not sure what it would take to get it to work on a US car. The retrofit kit comes with a wiring harness. Our US 986s were not prewired for it.

On the 986 it was mounted next to the battery. The black box with the round red thing is the siren. Below that is the tilt sensor. The picture is a UK 986.

No clue on a UK 987. Don't know if there is a retrofit kit for the 987. Don't know if you can just puy the parts and make your own kit. Doubt very much that your car is prewired for it. Don't know if you can use the 986 retrofit kit.

Take some picture of this thing as it is something we do not see in North America.

post-4-1173201098_thumb.jpg

Thanks toolpants. The siren and tilt sensor can be purchased over here without issue, its the wiring side of things that concerns me. I beleive the 997 and 987 have a different alarm system to the 986/996 is this correct ? do you know what the wiring loom for the upgrade consisted of or have apart number ? Certainly the tilt sensor looks like the same as I have seen in the parts catalogue for the 987 , but the alarm battery backed up siren is definitely different to the Uk ones. Also i am told the tilt sensor is fitted under the drivers seat in the Uk. I will continue to Press porsche for some answers and let you know the outcome. In the meantime if you have the part numbers or any more pics , please let me know. Many thanks again

• Moderators

I have never seen these animals in person. All I can do is look up parts. I do not have a 987 workshop manual.

The 986 pictures the UK guys took for me show the tilt sensor next to the battery. From reading messages in the UK boards water would get into the sensor and cause problems with the alarm. So the fix was to relocate it to under the seat. No clue where it is on a 987.

From reading the 987 publications all I can gather is the 986 infrared interior motion detector became radar based on the 987.

If you want to look at the 986 retrofit kit then have your OPC look in the Tequipment section of PET. I do not see a 987 retrofit kit listed.

The individual replacement parts for the siren/tilt sensor are listed in PET, but a wiring harness is not listed.

You should check with Richard Hamilton or on the UK message boards and see if someone has done the retrofit on a 987/997.

post-4-1173255421_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I talked to the people at Thatcham today and they told me that the tilt sensor and battery backed up siren was developed by porsche in conjunction with them to suit the Uk market and insurance companies. Apparently the I536 option which is only standard on UK RHD cars includes not only the tilt sensor, bracket and Battery backed up siren , but also a shaering lock nut for the ECU. Apparently a security feature addition required by Thatcham to get approval status. I have managed to find another UK 987 which has the alarm and now know the wiring colours , so hopefully a bit of additional digging will confirm if these wires are in the loom and just not terminated with a plug. The siren is just a two wire device so hopefully it can't be too difficult to retro fit. Ideally I need someone with access to the Porsche technology database to dig out the UK wiring diagram for me....Loren can you help on this ? Thanks

• 4 months later...

Final Update : Success ! I can now confirm that it is possible to Retro fit option I536 (battery backed siren and tow away/ tilt sensor) to a 997/ 987 even if the original wiring loom for the devices is not present. After a lot of research and digging , I've managed to locate the OEM plugs for the devices and make up a wiring loom to fit them in the car. Once installed there are no nasty cable splices , just oem plugs and wiring direct to the fuse box and existing ground points. The only contact you need with Porsche is to have the rear CU coded and configured , and buy the sensors initially. This may not be an issue for those in the UK, but in the USA I would check the local dealership has the country code option for the Uk in their PWIS tester for the rear control unit (I assume its one software code for all the world ?). Anyone else importing a 997/987 to the UK, or requires the option added, I may be able to supply a loom and instructions.

• Moderators

Here is my 986 hooked up to a PST2. I am in the alarm control unit and it sure looks like I can change the country coding.

Maybe, one of these days or in my dreams, I will buy the 986 retrofit kit, install it, then change the country coding for the alarm system from USA to GB and see if it works. I do not know of any American Boxster/996 owner who has done this as 99.9% of us do not know there is an optional alarm siren and tilt sensor for other countries.

The sun looking thing is camera flash.

post-4-1185489511_thumb.jpg

Looks good then for the 986 owners too . The wiring on the 986 is much simpler to retro fit than the 987 as the two devices sit side by side in the front trunk. The parts are not expensive , siren is about 70 UK pounds and the tilt sensor about 40 uk pounds ,but you can get them for at least half that from a breakers yard. Not sure what Porsche charge for the wiring loom ,but you could make one yourself much cheaper I'm sure.