Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Blow Motor Fixed - Now Ignition Switch Problems

Okay, so now I have the factory remanufactured motor in my car, new clutch, new radiator tank, much lighter wallet.

The dealer tells me I need the new ignition switch as well. I guess I knew that because if I didn't turn the key slightly back to the left after I started the car, the heater wouldn't work. Their estimate for the repair is around $400.00

I've read the various posts on the ignition switch replacement. Guess, I'm not clear as to what the real status is regarding replacing just the switch or the entire locking mechanism. Many of the posts are now several years old, so I am unclear as to what the current best practice is.

So my questions are:

1. Can the switch only be replaced, or does one have to get the entire locking assembly/switch combo?

2. If the switch only can be replaced, can the Audi switch be used without complication?

3. Does anyone know the current correct part number for the switch?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi

The electric part of the switch is replaceable separately.

I have no idea what cons urn the Audi switch.

The part number is not necessary, 986 and 996 are all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1313

You can replace just the switch with the same VW/Audi style that you have now and keep your lock. Or you can replace the lock to the new style lock that comes with a new style switch. The new style switch will not fit your old style lock.

A $400 estimate is going to be for the new style lock/switch. Your old style switch can be found for less than $20.

A dealership is going to want to go with the $400 job because they do not want to see your car again, because there were so many problems with the old style switch, and because Porsche no longer officially sells the old style switch.