Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door Courtesy Lamps

I would like to install OEM door mounted courtesy lamps in my '03 Boxster.

Door panel removal is fairly straightforward (I already have instructions), but what about electrical connections? Are the doors pre-wired for the lights? If I have to route the wires to the fuse box, what is the best (and simplest) way to make the connection?

thanks!

• Moderators

Porsche is a funny company in that it does not use a universal wiring harness for all cars. Each wiring harness is made to the car specs. You are not going to find that it is pre wired.

You will first have to figure out how you are going to get wires inside the door. There is the connector unless you wanted to drill holes. You would have to get the correct male and female pins. Then I guess you would tap into the overhead light so that the door lights would go on when the overhead light goes on when you open the door.

A lot of work for 2 lights. Jeff

post-24-1077560245_thumb.jpg

I had a feeling that the folks at Porsche wouldn't make it easy !

But, I still would like to do this and I'm fairly certain that I could carefully wiggle the wires up through the rubber tube between door and body.... patience is a good thing (or maybe I have too much time on my hands!).

If I were to tap these lights to the interior light, is there adequate power? Don't want to fry fuses, end up with diminished illumination or, worse, melt anything. BTW, how is the interior light switched? I've looked all around both doors and I just don't see any buttons.

thanks !

• Moderators

You would not be putting a big load with 2 little lights. We tap into the over head light when doing the footwell lighting retrofit and that adds 2 lights that are the same as the lights in the trunk without a problem.

I bet you got out the microscope looking for a plunger switch for the light - like I did when I first got my car. There is an electric switch inside the door hooked up the the latch.