Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Leaking Convertible Top

I have search the forum and I guess I am the only one here with this problem. I have a 1999 C4 Cab and I live in Orlando,FL and drove through the rain today and I felt drops of water on my arm!!! When I got home, I checked around the edge and that is where its coming from (my finger is pointing to where the water was dripping) I pulled back the plastic and its wet behind it. Does anyone know if this is normal? Anyone know how to get it fixed? Thanks in advance for the guidence.

post-16445-1176243719.jpg

post-16445-1176243713.jpg

post-16445-1176243705.jpg

All my soft-tops (including the MY03 996) leaked from the same location. It never really bothered me enough to fix it, but I think the solution is to replace the rubber shield (the part attached to the soft-top).

Is this problem persistent?

Yes, familiar spot. The rubber may have some plastic deformation on it if the top hasn't been opened a lot to allow the rubber to spring back and forth, stay elastic I guess. My solution was to recondition the rubber by using vaseline. Sounds crazy but it worked by aplying a coat of vaseline to the rubber, wait a few hours, clean off all excess and repeat a couple of times. No more leaks

Now if you really want to see the leaks on a cabrio, take it to a gas station carwash with the high pressure water wand that moves around the car? Needless to say, my sons where with me and laughing histerically. I was being lazy and cheap, I know, since I read the owners manual AFTER I went to the carwash. So I would imagine a good old-fashioned high intensity Florida shower can manage a leak in the roof.

Thanks all for the reply, I am glad i was not the only one, (brought mine used, was starting to think i got ripped off).... I will definitely try the posted tricks.... I guess its not that crazy as it was just a couple of drops, but its still disappointing.... once again thanks....