Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermediate Shaft failure

Just wondering what the signs/symptoms of a failing IS might be. Mine has a faint rattle, dealer said it's just the rt sided muffler. A guy with a TT on another board had a much louder, but similar sound on his TT that turned out to be a IS. Car runs and drives great, has had 'rattle ' over a yr. TIA

CH

Edited by C4S Surgeon

"Just wondering what the signs/symptoms of a failing IS might be."

No symptoms. Patient just dies.

Don't know what an IS shaft failure sounds like. Ask me what a chain tensioner failure sounds like on an air cooled engine and I could tell you though. I would not rule out the muffler. I had a stock muffler on my 996 fail and it can sound really bad. Internal weld failure caused the rattle. It doesnt take very long to remove the muffler to check. You may need to shake or bang it with a rubber mallet to replicate the rattle. It was a good excuse to replace the originals with GHLs.

Just wondering what the signs/symptoms of a failing IS might be. Mine has a faint rattle, dealer said it's just the rt sided muffler. A guy with a TT on another board had a much louder, but similar sound on his TT that turned out to be a IS. Car runs and drives great, has had 'rattle ' over a yr. TIA

CH

coin in the dryer.

metal in oil.

My understanding is that an IS failure is that of metal fatigue where the shaft breaks in half. If that is the case, there should be little warning sounds if any at all. Possibly a slight pulsating gear or bearing noise after the fatigue crack has propogated enough to allow the shaft to deform significantly. By the time you heard it, you would be mere revolutions away from complete and catastrophic failure.