Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air / Oil Separator replacemt Q

2002 C4 Cabriolet

I want to order the AOS from Pelican. Does anyone here know what other parts I should order to do this job?

NOTE: This is 02, late model AOS, not earlier one with bellows. If anyone else has to do this to an 02 or up car, I found a post by someone called PIG that did this replacement. It is the only one I've found that is not for the Boxster or 99-01 996.

His claim is that by removing the alternator, it is accessible.

That's the only part I needed other than the bolts that hold it in place (cant remember if there were 2 or 3 of them now)

It is a difficult job DIY due to access.

I removed throttle body and both rubber pipes joining the intake distributors, alternator, intake distributor on the left bank. This gave enough access for me, but it was just one of those awkward jobs really.

Any help required, please feel free to PM

Cheers

Paul

Thanks much, Paul. I'll set aside the better part of a day for the job. As for the bolts, I believe they needed replacement because of microencapsulated sealant. These are probably low stress, 6mm bolts and I will use them again. Just wire wheel off remaining sealant residue and reseal with a drop of removable Loctite. Well I'm off to order the part now.

• 3 months later...

wdonovan, any updates on the job?

Did you do it, did it solve the problem, was it difficult, and how much did it cost?

I am having consistent white smoke at startups nowadays, although they stop within a few seconds,

until I stop and restart after it's been sitting for at least a few hours.

Trying to decide if I can DIY, or should I send it to my mechanic.

Thanks.

New separator is as good of shape as the day I got it. It has been sitting in my storage room at work since then. I haven't seen any smoke in many months and my oil consumption has actually decreased from 1 qt / wk to 1 qt / month. I think the prev owner didn't drive or break in hard enough to seat the rings. That's the only type of oil consumption I can think of that could get better in time. So..... I'm not looking for an unnecessary project right now and the separator will remain in inventory til something changes.

wdonovan, any updates on the job?

Did you do it, did it solve the problem, was it difficult, and how much did it cost?

I am having consistent white smoke at startups nowadays, although they stop within a few seconds,

until I stop and restart after it's been sitting for at least a few hours.

Trying to decide if I can DIY, or should I send it to my mechanic.

Thanks.