Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dash lights out

I can't seem to fugure out why my dash lights are out. My interior locator lights and license plate lights are out too. I've checked the fuse and the bulbs, not the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me crazy! Thanks!

• Moderators

There are 3 places to check for voltage. Chances are the grounds are all good, since all 3 things are out. This narrows it down to 3 places.

1. Fuse row A position 5.

2. If the fuse is good, check to see that there is voltage coming from the bottom of the fuse holder. Chances are that is good because other things on that bus are still working.

If that is good, next check to see if the circuit supply line is properly connected to the fuse block. To do that you have to look on the back of the fuse block. To do that, remove the carpet & plastic bezel that is held to the fuse block with 4 phillips screws. Next pop off the fuse block from its mounting bracket. It is held to a bracket on the wheel well by plastic clips on both sides. It just pops off when the clips are released. Make sure that the power line is still connected to the A5 fuse plug. If that is OK, and there is voltage at that line, next move on the Relay support bracket and the power distribution bridge plug for the individual lighting circuits.

3. The relay support bracket is behind and above the fuse block. It is held in by a nut on one side and a clip to a plastic mounting bracket on the other. This clip can be a pain in the lass to disconnect, and don't be mad if you break the plastic mounting bracket. Replacements are only a few bucks at your Porsche parts counter. (ask me how I know...)

The bridge plugs are along the bottom and left side (looking at the front of the relay support). They are essentially junction terminals for a variety of things that are similar to each other. (like panel illumination, speed signals, etc.)

The one you want to look at is Plug 27 position BS 10/1. Looking at the front of the relay support bracket, that is the 5th plug from the left on the bottom row. Each position has 4 bridge plugs and BS 10/1 is the bottom right one. This connects the power line from the fuse block A5 to the individual lines for the dash, interior, and license plate circuits. To verify the connections, you have to look at the back side of the relay support bracket. Make sure all of the cables are securely plugged in, especially the one that goes back to the fuse block.

It sounds to me like the voltage supply line has come loose at either the fuse block or the relay support bracket.

If this sounds like it is too much for you, then take it to your independent or dealer and let them trace it out.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to get started this weekend. I really appreciate all the detail you provided! I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks!

I can't seem to fugure out why my dash lights are out. My interior locator lights and license plate lights are out too. I've checked the fuse and the bulbs, not the problem. Anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me crazy! Thanks!