Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm hoping to get some quick answers, before tomorrow morning.

I'm taking my car in to the bodyshop to fix the door damage tomorrow.

I decided to remove the door panel, so those guys have less stuff to mess up.

Can't imagine them leaving the leather door panel aside, and collecting paint dust for several days!

Also, that way, I can see inside to make sure things are done right, anti-rust applied, etc.

Right now, I already have the door panel removed.

Now I'm also thinking of removing the airbag, coz' I don't trust them removing that and leaving it in a corner, or underneath a pile of whatever, getting scraped, or punctured.

Question is, if I remove the airbag and reconnect the battery to drive the car over to them,

That is gonna trigger an airbag light, correct? Is this all there is to it, the airbag light?

Is there any caution that I should know of, starting or driving the car without the door airbag?

Then later when I get the car back, and install and reconnect the airbag back on the door,

Will the airbag be in good working order as before?

Will the airbag light just go away, or do I need the dealer to reset it?

Also, I think I will need to replace the foam door film.

Is this something that's available at the dealer?

Has anyone replaced this, does it come with the seal/glue?

Thanks for your responses!

Thanks for the reassurance, Toolpants! :thumbup:

At least I feel better, and safer, knowing for sure it's just a light and nothing complicated.

I can always drive down to my indy mechanic after all the bodywork/painting is done,

and I'm sure he can just reset it for me, if he needs to, I don't mind paying him a half-hour's labor (I think 1/2 hr is the min. labor charge).

With the airbag off the door, it's safe in my house,

and also, that way, the bodyshop workers don't have to disconnect and reconnect the battery,

and possibly lock the hood in the process, and have to mess with more stuff!

Now...I have to cover all my interior with bedsheets, except, of course, the driver's seat.

I'm so paranoid about the whole thing, I just don't trust bodyshops.

My last visit to a bodyshop many years ago, (another car) resulted in spraypaint dust all over my interior!

And my C4S has mostly full leather interior,

which, I think any attempt to clean overspray with chemicals/solvents, will mess up the leather in some way.