Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 1998 C2, which I bought 2 years ago, that was fitted with almost new discs. The pads were std as far as I remember. The braking performance was very poor, especially at low speeds, compared with my Cosworth that has Ferodo DS2000 pads.

I replaced the std pads with Mintex M1144 C-Tech pads and retained the discs as they had virtually no wear. The braking effect was a very much improved, although not as good as the Ferodo's. The only downside was that during very light braking when coming to a stop, squeeling occured. The squeeling gradually reduced over time and very rarely occurs now. This took place over about 3 months and 3k miles, and could not be attributed to bedding in to the discs. I think it was due to the hardened glazed surface produced by the std pads, which wore away due to the abrasive nature of the Mintex pad material. I do not know the origin/make of the discs. Perhaps this would not have happened if new discs had been fitted at the same time.

The std pads are notorious for bonding to the discs after rain. The std pads would be well stuck next morning, especially the rears ( handbrake off ), the Mintex M1144's do not do this. I don't suppose this will affect you much, living in Pasadena ! ( I live in UK )

I personally prefer Mintex to oem, but if finances permit I may try Ferodo 2500 next time - with new discs.

Invercroft,

Thanks so much for the feedback on the Mintex pads. Did you find that they produce less brake dust than the OEM pads like they claim? I have the opportunity to pick up front and rear pads (Mintex) and Stainless brake lines for $170 bucks. Seems like a sweet deal to me.

Thanks for the info!

Phillipj

post-7267-1183568032_thumb.jpg

They produce slightly more dust than std, but it does wash off very easily - not like the ferodo's. Not bad for a competition grade material ( which is suitable for road use with no warm up required )

Are the one's available in your country the same type ie.... M1144 ?

Approximately a year ago I paid $225 for a set (front and rear) of Mintex "Red Box" pads and ATE rubber hoses. I still don't like the way my car brakes, but I have yet to find the time to sand my discs and re bed the pads to see if the problem is with the discs and not the pads. My issue is that the rate of deceleration is not as much as I would like it to be or as good as other Porsches I have driven. My M Coupe with Metal Master pads would maje your eyeballs come out! :P :o Looking for the same feeling.

Approximately a year ago I paid $225 for a set (front and rear) of Mintex "Red Box" pads and ATE rubber hoses. I still don't like the way my car brakes, but I have yet to find the time to sand my discs and re bed the pads to see if the problem is with the discs and not the pads. My issue is that the rate of deceleration is not as much as I would like it to be or as good as other Porsches I have driven. My M Coupe with Metal Master pads would maje your eyeballs come out! :P :o Looking for the same feeling.

GOB,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just go with the OEM pads. The brakes are great as they are and I don't track the car. I have done aftermarket changes in the past and been dissapointed. I appreciate your feedback and hope you get your brakes to work as they should.

Phillipj

post-7267-1183669222_thumb.jpg

Those prices seem high to me. Check out Pelican Parts for Mintex, I think they are $37 and $47 per set, rear and fronts. I always keep a fresh set and take to the track as spares since they are so cheap. If you use on the street, they are fine, on track they will last you one day or about 250 miles or hard driving. Ask me how I know..... :drive:

www.pelicanparts.com

Edited by izzyandsue

Those prices seem high to me. Check out Pelican Parts for Mintex, I think they are $37 and $47 per set, rear and fronts. I always keep a fresh set and take to the track as spares since they are so cheap. If you use on the street, they are fine, on track they will last you one day or about 250 miles or hard driving. Ask me how I know..... :drive:

www.pelicanparts.com

pelican parts doesn't carry the mintex C-tech 1144 compound... just the standard ones... you want the 1144 compound.

Didn't know that. Pete, you have a source in the US for them? Google just came up with European or Asian sites. I have only seen the "red box" which are the cheap ones. I would still keep a set on my tool bin that I take to the track, in case I need to swap a quick set to drive home with. I am tryin BHP front ones next weekend at CMP. Have not seen nor heard a lot about them on the forums.

Didn't know that. Pete, you have a source in the US for them? Google just came up with European or Asian sites. I have only seen the "red box" which are the cheap ones. I would still keep a set on my tool bin that I take to the track, in case I need to swap a quick set to drive home with. I am tryin BHP front ones next weekend at CMP. Have not seen nor heard a lot about them on the forums.

I do have a source for them but if they don't have them in stock they can order them from Europe and it will take 12-16 weeks... I'm currently waiting for a set for my C70; I hear they are a great pad period so I took the plunge....

You can get them here:

Parts for Imports

ask for Mark Papadopoulos

856-665-2300

regards,

Pete