Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car reving over 5K after cleaning throttle body HELP!

I posted a couple of days ago about topping up my oil while the motor was running and my car running roughly afterwards. This afternoon, it was still running very roughly so I decided to clean the Throttle body. This is the first time it has ever been cleaned with almost 77K miles so it was very oily with a lot of carbon build up. Anyhow after removing the T.B. and cleaning and reassembling I expected to start it up and hear it purr but instead it rocketd up to about 5000-5500 RPM. I tapped the throttle a couple of times but it doesn't do anything but rev even higher. I tried this about 3 times and decided to stop as I don't think it's good for the motor to be shut off at 5K RPM. Any ideas? I checked all electrical connections, I triple checked the throttle cable is routed correctly and is not binding. Right now I disconnected the battery and decided to ask for help before I f things up. Thanks.

Nevermind. Figured it out. I decided to disconnect the cable and it idled great. Then I noticed the cable wouldn't extend the full length it should to be at the idle position. Then I realized what I did. I installed the black retainer for the throttle cable upside down in the throttle body housing thus shortening my cable by about 3/8 of an inch which was causing the motor to rev. Now it runs perfect. Guess I shouldn't have been doing this at sunset. Oh well no harm no foul. Thanks anyway.

Edited by racer08

• 2 weeks later...
Nevermind. Figured it out. I decided to disconnect the cable and it idled great. Then I noticed the cable wouldn't extend the full length it should to be at the idle position. Then I realized what I did. I installed the black retainer for the throttle cable upside down in the throttle body housing thus shortening my cable by about 3/8 of an inch which was causing the motor to rev. Now it runs perfect. Guess I shouldn't have been doing this at sunset. Oh well no harm no foul. Thanks anyway.

I have a 99 c2 and had the same problem when cleaning my throttle body last night. Today I read your post and thought ' aha thats the problem'. This evening I removed and reinserted the back retainer 180° from my previous install. But no change, I'm still about 3/8" short. So I reinsert it in all four of the possible positions and find the same problem, 3/8" short. I came back to reread your post to see if I missed anything but no luck. Help, anyone have any ideas.

Thanks