Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

yet another ipod install thread.

Well now,

figured i'd share this little bit of customization.

originally, had the standard ashtray, the lid no longer stayed closed.

then i bought the non-smoker kit. liked it better than a busted ashtray but still not that useful.

the other day i was looking at my old 4g ipod, and realized the width was just about perfect to fit width-wise into the old ashtray bezel.

this type of install is only good if you plan on only rarely taking the ipod out of the car. mine is a big clunker 40gb so i only take it out to update song every so often.

also have an rf wireless remote to control tracks and such without using the ipod. although with this mounting, its pretty easy to skip back and forth without looking at the ipod.

so, anyway, an hour or so with a dremel tool has resulted in this.

78796831xb9.jpg

nothing to see here.

28096100cf9.jpg

hey, look! i have an ipod in my ashtray. still not really safe to use while moving. but in general, i like not seeing any wires and think its a simple, clean install. also, putting the ashtray lid back on helps cut down on unwanted attention from thieves and such.

98402631bz7.jpg

just a few cuts and a bit of grinding to get a perfect(ish) fit.

img1461ar8.jpg

a kind of big hole for the dock connector. this is for the ipod connector from the aux input. the one from pie or whatever.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

img1459wh3.jpg

all that's left of the ashtray door. now just used as anti-theft.

Well now,

figured i'd share this little bit of customization.

originally, had the standard ashtray, the lid no longer stayed closed.

then i bought the non-smoker kit. liked it better than a busted ashtray but still not that useful.

the other day i was looking at my old 4g ipod, and realized the width was just about perfect to fit width-wise into the old ashtray bezel.

this type of install is only good if you plan on only rarely taking the ipod out of the car. mine is a big clunker 40gb so i only take it out to update song every so often.

also have an rf wireless remote to control tracks and such without using the ipod. although with this mounting, its pretty easy to skip back and forth without looking at the ipod.

so, anyway, an hour or so with a dremel tool has resulted in this.

78796831xb9.jpg

nothing to see here.

28096100cf9.jpg

hey, look! i have an ipod in my ashtray. still not really safe to use while moving. but in general, i like not seeing any wires and think its a simple, clean install. also, putting the ashtray lid back on helps cut down on unwanted attention from thieves and such.

98402631bz7.jpg

just a few cuts and a bit of grinding to get a perfect(ish) fit.

img1461ar8.jpg

a kind of big hole for the dock connector. this is for the ipod connector from the aux input. the one from pie or whatever.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

img1459wh3.jpg

all that's left of the ashtray door. now just used as anti-theft.

Very cool. How does the remote work?