Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

wind deflector fitting

I have a 987 wind deflector and a fixing kit but i,m not sure how to get the trim off the roll bar. Does it just pull off? has anyone fitted this themselves or should I get it dealer fitted?

We'll need a 987 owner that has done this to confirm, but on my 986 the vinyl covered foam trim pulled off the roll bar, and on that car some f the holes were pre-drilled so loacting the mounting clips was easy.

My 987 had the wind deflector factory installed, so I haven't had to wrestle with ulling the pads off the roll bar, but when I did on the 986, I applied a couple of layers of electrical tape on the painted surface of the bar to protect it from scuffs and used a large flat bladed screwdriver to work the pad off. It had pins a couple of inches from each and and one located near the middle if memory serves.

One thing I will mention, if you do need to drill any holes in the roll bar, it is hard material and I found that titanium or colbalt coated drill bits worked best.

I think it is a DIY job, I'm sure the dealer would love to tke some money from you though!

I have a 987 wind deflector and a fixing kit but i,m not sure how to get the trim off the roll bar. Does it just pull off? has anyone fitted this themselves or should I get it dealer fitted?

We'll need a 987 owner that has done this to confirm, but on my 986 the vinyl covered foam trim pulled off the roll bar, and on that car some f the holes were pre-drilled so loacting the mounting clips was easy.

My 987 had the wind deflector factory installed, so I haven't had to wrestle with ulling the pads off the roll bar, but when I did on the 986, I applied a couple of layers of electrical tape on the painted surface of the bar to protect it from scuffs and used a large flat bladed screwdriver to work the pad off. It had pins a couple of inches from each and and one located near the middle if memory serves.

One thing I will mention, if you do need to drill any holes in the roll bar, it is hard material and I found that titanium or colbalt coated drill bits worked best.

I think it is a DIY job, I'm sure the dealer would love to tke some money from you though!