Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgraded Ignition Switch Installation

I've spent two hours searching the site for this and haven't found it; so I hope this is a somewhat unique post...

2002 996 C2 with 34K miles.

I just DIY'd the 4A0-905-849-B ignition switch (German-made one with the Audi rings on it) based on all the help in these forums. Thanks to all the previous articles I again have AC, lights, and wipers! Right after fixing the switch, the car started right up. I ran it a minute and turned it off. Two minutes later, it barely make a coughing sound and then wouldn't start at all. Next morning it started first turn, ran until I turned it off, then would never start again, and I mean I can only get a 'cough' probably once every ten turns. It's in no danger of starting, I assure you. I took the battery to AutoZone and they said it's fine. Reinstalled it and still barely get a cough once in a while. So I think the upgraded switch is the only choice; I can't believe the starter coincidentally went bad with the switch replacement. I saw similar notes with this complaint which led to the advice to replace the whole mechanism with part number 996-347-017-07-M100. The advice seems sound, but I want to confirm a couple of things before moving forward.

Here's the bottom line:

--Does a guru agree that the switch is still the likely problem based on the facts above?

--Is there a DIY article on this procedure here or anywhere? (I already found the one for just the black switch but could not find one for this)

The rest of these may be answered by the DIY article if it exists...

--Is disconnecting the battery a must? I didn't do it the last time, but since it started a couple of times, I can't believe it's truly mandatory...

--Are there more than two mounting points and have the mount points changed from the '02 original model to this upgraded model? After jamming my head between the clutch and brake pedals, I only see the one bolt by the steering column and a screw next to where the key is inserted.

--Is engaging (or disengaging) the steering lock mechanism with the steering column difficult? it looks like it is inserted about a half-inch beyond the flange, but is it splined or something that makes it difficult?

--How do you pull the existing key barrel so that it can be reinserted in the new mechanism and I won't need new keys?

--Is there another 'gotcha' that I haven't asked about? I've seen the estimates of 2-3 hous of work and comments about how shop mechanics don't even want to fool with this, and I assume that's because it's just so hard to get to the bolts on this thing.

--Am I an idiot for even thinking of trying this myself? I can fix a lot of things, and since towing is already my only option for moving the car (well, I could push it, I suppose...), I don't see how getting halfway through this and then bailing is going to make it much worse.

Looking forward to your expert advice.

One update since I posted this...another old thread led me to try and hold the key in the '2' position for a while. It turns out that, after a few seconds, it starts strongly, but it's completely silent for those few seconds until the starter engages. It's weird, but I tried it over and over and it does work. My friend with an '07 Cayman says his always takes 2-3 seconds; so I feel a *little* better. I still believe I should replace the whole ignition switch; so I look forward to any knowledgeable replies to my questions above.

Edited by dmcole

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone please confirm whether there is a DIY article for replacing the entire 996 ignition switch and steering lock mechanism? I commit to becoming a contributing member in return for accurate answers to my questions above. Thank you!

OK, I've got it removed. I'll write up a full description of the procedure for posterity here at renntech. The last question I have is how to transfer the key cylinder from the old to new part.

I've posted that question as a new topic, but any help is appreciated.