Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust problems...

Rom

Hi all,

My '99 Boxster sounds like a Harley Davidson Edition right now, and I just wanted some opinions of common Boxster-specific exhaust faults before I get under and start removing parts. The car went from sounding normal to sounding like there is no exhaust at all within about 5-10 miles. It's coming from the rear left side of the car, and does not appear to be from the main exhaust assembly. I'm guessing an exhaust gasket either between the head and the header, or between the header and the first cat has reached its end of life...

Are there any caveats with removing the Boxster exhaust system I should know about? I can reach the 3-to-1 header pretty easily, and should be able to remove it with no trouble, but if the problem turns out to be some where else, is there a description of the process somewhere? I don't want to go re-inventing the wheel!

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Shash

I found the issue - I took off the manifold, and where it connects to the flange (the end that bolts to the cat), the pipe has completely sheered off! Since there have been no modifications, and I didn't hit anything under the car, that seems like a design flaw (i.e. it looked like circular stresses as the manifold, which is rigidly bolted to the engine, moves in a slight circular motion with acceleration against the cat, which is bolted to the chassis - of course, it could also indicate worn engine mounts though...). I saw one other person report this issue on the forums - although I don't know how common it is overall...

Anyway, I could try welding it back, but I think I'll just try to find another manifold...

Thanks!

S.

PS - boggtown - thanks for the feedback, but I was aware how to find the leak - I just wanted to know if there were any Boxster-specific issues before I went in!

I spoke with the Porsche dealer here and they said they've "never seen this issue"... Although I've seen a few posts now with people having this issue on the internet - although they all seem to be older Boxsters, so it wouldn't surprise me if the dealers never see it (since people are unlikely to go to a dealer to have this fixed!).

Anyway, anyone happen to have a stock manifold for a 99 Boxster (or equivalent) that they don't want (preferably in the California Bay Area)? :)

Thanks!

Shash

• Moderators

Some of use Boxster owners went to Laguna Seca last month and we got to see the Boxster spec cars race. 1997-1999 2.5s is the spec race car. They take everything out of the car to reduce weight and then make modifications to what is left.

I thought this was great, a great source of parts for us 2.5 owners. :rolleyes:

But I asked one of the guys if they were permitted to use headers. He said no, they are required to use the stock manifolds. But you might ask if someone has an extra manifold. There is at least one local owner, Bill Pickering in Campbell.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.whsites.net/phpBB2/

post-4-1189561130_thumb.jpg

Some of use Boxster owners went to Laguna Seca last month and we got to see the Boxster spec cars race. 1997-1999 2.5s is the spec race car. They take everything out of the car to reduce weight and then make modifications to what is left.

I thought this was great, a great source of parts for us 2.5 owners. :rolleyes:

But I asked one of the guys if they were permitted to use headers. He said no, they are required to use the stock manifolds. But you might ask if someone has an extra manifold. There is at least one local owner, Bill Pickering in Campbell.

http://www.boxsterspecracing.whsites.net/phpBB2/

Thanks - I'll try them out!

Shash