Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

02 Tiptronic Turbo RMS leak?

Okay I just purchased a very clean 40k turbo and discovered an oil leak at the green gasket/seal on the bell housing. Is this the dreaded RMS leak? After reading most past posts and articles I still need some help. At the risk of sounding stupid, What am I looking at? engine oil or transmission oil? ( both I believe in this case are clear). What is the worst case scenario. Is this seal serviceable. The local dealer wants to core out and replace the whole tranny which sounds a little extreme and very very expensive. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Edited by Johnny Rotten

Okay I just purchased a very clean 40k turbo and discovered an oil leak at the green gasket/seal on the bell housing. Is this the dreaded RMS leak? After reading most past posts and articles I still need some help. At the risk of sounding stupid, What am I looking at? engine oil or transmission oil? ( both I believe in this case are clear). What is the worst case scenario. Is this seal serviceable. The local dealer wants to core out and replace the whole tranny which sounds a little extreme and very very expensive. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Thanks for the clarifications. So can I stop hyperventilating? The diagram which I will try to post tomorrow shows a main housing gasket that is not numbered. My dealer states that this means it is not available and therefore not serviceable. Other than the oil leaking there has been no other issues. I had the tech top off the fluid to buy more time. What kind of expense are we talking about? Where should I go to have it fixed? Edited by Johnny Rotten

Thanks for the clarifications. So can I stop hyperventilating? The diagram which I will try to post tomorrow shows a main housing gasket that is not numbered. My dealer states that this means it is not available and therefore not serviceable. Other than the oil leaking there has been no other issues. I had the tech top off the fluid to buy more time. What kind of expense are we talking about? Where should I go to have it fixed?

I would not belive everything a dealer tells you. Local Dealer said I had to replace my entire steering wheel because they could no longer get the parts to make my horn quit blowing everytime I hit the brakes. Called Sunset and they had the frame in stock! I fixed it for $40 with the help of the instructions on this board. The seals on the tip can be replaced. They may not show up in the parts diagram, but my Indy sourced one for my tip and it has been bone dry for 3 years now. The tip fluid will have a red tint to it whereas oil will have a browish tint. The rear mains can leak in the turbo motors, but is not a common problem. If the dealer cannot/will not source the part find a trusted Indy. Call Jeff at Sunset to get the part. If the rear main is leaking, I would not worry too much. It is more of how much you can personally tolerate. My 911SC had a rear main leak that required me the replace the cardboard on the floor every few days. Despite this, it never got to the clutch. I finally could not tolerate the drips any more and had it changed. I was surprised but went ahead and replaxed the clutch anway since I already had the parts.

Thanks for the clarifications. So can I stop hyperventilating? The diagram which I will try to post tomorrow shows a main housing gasket that is not numbered. My dealer states that this means it is not available and therefore not serviceable. Other than the oil leaking there has been no other issues. I had the tech top off the fluid to buy more time. What kind of expense are we talking about? Where should I go to have it fixed?

I would not believe everything a dealer tells you. Local Dealer said I had to replace my entire steering wheel because they could no longer get the parts to make my horn quit blowing every time I hit the brakes. Called Sunset and they had the frame in stock! I fixed it for $40 with the help of the instructions on this board. The seals on the tip can be replaced. They may not show up in the parts diagram, but my Indy sourced one for my tip and it has been bone dry for 3 years now. The tip fluid will have a red tint to it whereas oil will have a browish tint. The rear mains can leak in the turbo motors, but is not a common problem. If the dealer cannot/will not source the part find a trusted Indy. Call Jeff at Sunset to get the part. If the rear main is leaking, I would not worry too much. It is more of how much you can personally tolerate. My 911SC had a rear main leak that required me the replace the cardboard on the floor every few days. Despite this, it never got to the clutch. I finally could not tolerate the drips any more and had it changed. I was surprised but went ahead and replaced the clutch anyway since I already had the parts.

I need to clarify that I did not purchase this car from my Porsche dealer but from a dealer that specializes in used Porsche. Driving an extra 100 miles and saving 20k. Unfortunately the local dealer has a very poor understanding of who his bread and butter customers are and tends to cater to owners who care more about status than performance. Obviously He is either ignorant or criminal and has no interest in building loyalty through service. I have contacted the dealer which I purchased the car from, and although I purchased the car "As is" he has offered to work with me to resolve the problem. This scenario sounds a lot more plausible and saves me from selling a kidney. Any Idea of the cost of a main seal replacement ? Thank you all again for your input. Edited by Johnny Rotten