Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Considering A Used PCM-1

I'm considering the purchase of a used PCM-1 removed from a 1999 Carrera. I've searched and read just about every post on here and I'm still a bit uncertain. Will someone review the information gathered from my research and let me know if I am on the right track with my thinking and answer my remaining questions?

1. The PCM is an 8-bit unit (confirmed by the seller), so new maps aren't available.

2. The PCM from a 99 Carrera will work in my 2000 Boxster. (Both cars are non-MOST.)

3. The PCM may or may not be "plug and play" depending on the relative configuration of the cars involved. I have the on-board computer if that helps.

4. I will need to buy a new navigation antenna. Are these available? What do they cost?

5. I will need to buy a CD-changer cable. Are these available? What do they cost?

6. Will the PCM have to be activated by the dealer after I install it.

7. I will have to relocate my climate control unit, but this is a straightforward job and the parts needed are relatively inexpensive.

I have the Becker CD-220 with the "peeling button/sticky knob" problem and was thinking that the used PCM might be a nice upgrade. I figure it will cost about $125 to service the Becker and I could use that money to defray some of the cost of the PCM. However, it is beginning to look like the installation of the PCM could be tricky and involve some hidden costs. Also, most folks seem to favor an aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by KevinH90

Kevin,

I have a PCM1 and am wondering if you have seen the level of GPS that you are going to get with this setup. I have a 99 986 and have PMC1. I live in the country around Lexington, KY and none of my roads are even ON the maps. There are no street level maps of downtown Lexington and such. If you live near here I will gladly SHOW you how rudimentary before you pay for and install all these goods! My drive into town (I have a restaurant in the smack dab cnter of town) has me on the map for less than 5 of the 12 miles. My home is on a fairly major 100 year old road! Not trying to stop you here, just wanted to provide some protection. :)

Jim

Edited by JCSawyer

Outrageously priced for what you get, even used.

A portable will allow you to mount the screen on the dash, a much safer place to glance at than the center console. Downside is you have the receiver in a convertible and need to remove it when you stop. And certain sun angles can wash out the picture (but that is true of any such screen mounted anywhere in the car)

An aftermarket GPS enabled stereo will allow IPOD connection, have a better stereo, hook to a good amp (or amps) and pop the screen up higher.