Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cam cover gasket replacement DIY

99 996 C2

I have a small leak on the drivers side cam cover. Occaisionally when I get on it real hard a drop of oil will hit the exhaust and smoke real bad. Quite embarrassing.

My mechanic said it is not a threat to my motor but I need to address it relatively soon..

I did a search for a DIY thread but could not find anything. Has anyone done this job themselves?

I have heard varying opinions on difficulty and hours required.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, :renntech:

Phillipj

• Moderators

On my Boxster 8 years ago I noticed a drip from the passenger side cam cover. Very minor. Snuged up all the bolts and the drip went away. Might try that first. The bolts are small so don't crank on them too hard or you can snap them.

Also check to see that the oil is not coming from the spark plug tubes.

On my Boxster 8 years ago I noticed a drip from the passenger side cam cover. Very minor. Snuged up all the bolts and the drip went away. Might try that first. The bolts are small so don't crank on them too hard or you can snap them.

Also check to see that the oil is not coming from the spark plug tubes.

Tool Pants,

What if the oil is coming from the spark plug tubes? What does that indicate? There seems to be some oil on the tubes on the passenger side. No leaking on the headers or floor from that side though.

I have had the car looked at by two Porsche mechanics...

One is very practical and the other is very anal. The practical mechanic tells me not to waste my money. A little leak is not a big deal.

The anal mechanic says I need to do both cam covers. But he also wants to replace my clutch (which is fine), replace my tires (which have plenty of life) and do my brakes (they don't need it etc..)

Needless to say I don't see the anal mechanic anymore.

I don't really have enough Porsche experience to know what the right decision is.

Thanks for your input!

Phillipj