Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Muffler Bypass pipes

This past weekend I installed muffler bypass pipes on the 2003 C2 coupe. First impression, they are LOUD. But cool loud for me. Awesome sound on the highway, high RPM, high speed.

This is the units I got, $199 at Ebay, and they look truly amazing, shiny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=230184398298

post-4600-1194353494.jpg

Installation is quick, I will see about putting some pictures on later. Removed the mufflers and replace them with the pipes. The unit states that you can re-use stock clamps, but you can not. I got $2 clamps at Autozone, and done deal, works perfect. The install took me 45 mins for the first time. So will get it down to 30 mins to add to my track day setup (wheels and brake pads) changeover.

The sound and vibration reminds me of the Fabspeed mufflers at idle and low RPM. But incredible sound above 3500 RPM on 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. Anyway, cheap thrills and giggles for a few days, looking forward to VIR in 2 weeks.

post-4600-1194311313.jpg

Edited by Izzy

Have stocke headers. What headers you got and where you get them? Cost? I am cheap

Izzy, thanks for trying these out. I am very interested in your impresson of these on a daily driver. My car has enough road noise with my tire and road combination that the stereo has to be turned up somewhat just to hear it well. Would like to hear the car sometimes but don't want to have to yell to passengers. Sounds to me like you don't leave these on all the time.

Just got them Chuck, and so far is more of the "new toy syndrome". I will take them off primarily to not attract attention to my daily driver. I rarely cary passengers, and when I do, usually my young boys who absolutely love the "race car sound". You can hear the radio fine, no problem. You can't when you are accelerating hard. Otherwise it is a drone in the background kind of sound. What sold me was the $200, can't beat that for the grins and the ability to set off car alarms on the mid-90s Honda Civics (boy racers) on the parking garage.

Really got them for track days, not sure if there is any gain in HP, but the aceel response feels lighter, quicker. In the end, like taping a baseball card on the bike forks back in 1971, making that old sound boys like.

• 3 weeks later...

I have them too. I love it. I don't even turn radio on but it is not every day vehicle for me. Sound is just amazing from that flat six when screems at "correct" rpm range . Stock system does not do the justice. It has a sweet spot at 4k rpm and up. I have to look in to headers, I did not think it would be any improvments in the sound. I have some buzzing noises from rear bumper heat shielding but that can be easy fix. It is not for everyone- it's loud but oh well that is why I have this car- it's my stress relief.

The sound is growing on me. I did drive 2.5 hours to VIR and back, plus a full day or driving on track. And the sound is phenomenal on track, awesome response. Driving to the track with new XM radio, it was not bad at all either. But agree with you, it is a cool cool sound, specially when the engine is idling the gurgling sound comes out....

• 6 months later...
The sound is growing on me. I did drive 2.5 hours to VIR and back, plus a full day or driving on track. And the sound is phenomenal on track, awesome response. Driving to the track with new XM radio, it was not bad at all either. But agree with you, it is a cool cool sound, specially when the engine is idling the gurgling sound comes out....

Hey Izzy, how are these working out for you?

I only use them for track days, found them to be too loud for everyday driving. But I do need to be on phone for business on the road, and you really can't make a phone call driving with the bypass pipes on.