Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket Stereo

I want to replace my stock Stereo system with a 2-din aftermarket touch screen nav stereo system. My buddy did this in his 350Z and it looks great! I would like to know where I can find a 2-din mount and a wire harnesses. Does the dealer sell these? Does the mount look descent or plasticy? Also, are there any adverse affects to the cars other displays since the original stereo is tied in with them?

P.S. I can't beleive there wasn't already a topic on this subject.

On the 987 the OEM stereo is linked into the dash instrument cluster and the CAN gateway module. If you remove the OEM unit , I would suggest getting Porsche to change the coding on the gateway module to prevent error messages in the PWIS unit when the car goes for service or self checking on start up. Providing you do not have either BOSE, or CD changer options fitted and wish to retain these , the MOST fibre optic system should not be of issue.

• 5 weeks later...

Please forgive my complete ignorance. I, too, would like to upgrade my OEM stereo (stock CDR24 head unit, etc.), but am terrified I'll offend the MOST fiber optic system gods. I have a MY2008 Boxster S and am afraid of ruining the electrical system on my new car. I realize you addressed this question to the previous poster, but in simplier language, could you please explain what my installer would need to do to avoid hurting anything. To be clear, my installer has done other systems for me in the past, but these were to non-Porsche, non-MOST systems. They are very professional, blah blah blah, but I am just a little jittery. They said the installation would be "no big thing." They did not mention anything about a CAN bus, and I've read a bus of some sort is necessary (for something). If there is something written that explains this (I did a search but didn't find anything), I could pass that to them. But mostly, I'm looking for reassurance this isn't the level of brain surgery I've been (mis?)led to believe. Thank you so much! ... and happy New Year!

Stu

I want to replace my stock Stereo system with a 2-din aftermarket touch screen nav stereo system. My buddy did this in his 350Z and it looks great! I would like to know where I can find a 2-din mount and a wire harnesses. Does the dealer sell these? Does the mount look descent or plasticy? Also, are there any adverse affects to the cars other displays since the original stereo is tied in with them?

P.S. I can't beleive there wasn't already a topic on this subject.

Just installed a Pioneer AVIC D3... xm/ipod/bluetooth/nav.... works great requires a custom face plate.... a good shop can do this with ease...

I also replaced the amp with a memphis.... very nice

05 Box S with the bose single disc... Ask the service mgr at your dealer for a good aftermarket shop... they know.