Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cold hard shifter, never felt this before?

The 1997 986 has been in our new "extra" cold storage garage for about a month in 30F Ohio.

Just went out to check on the battery condition and get something out of the garage. Figured I take it for a spin and get it up to temp.

The stick was so "thick" and hard to move I was put back with my attempt to take it out. If I pushed the shifter left (1&2) or right of center (5 & R) the shifter would even hold in those positions. It was like the gear shift was moving in thick molasseses. For a minute if felt like it was loosening up but then I determined it was still thick.

I would not call this a mechanic feel or force.

Does this sound right for a 20-30F car that has been sitting for a month?

It was in heated storage the last two winters, so this is rather concerning.

Thoughts?

Shawn

Ohio

The 1997 986 has been in our new "extra" cold storage garage for about a month in 30F Ohio.

Just went out to check on the battery condition and get something out of the garage. Figured I take it for a spin and get it up to temp.

The stick was so "thick" and hard to move I was put back with my attempt to take it out. If I pushed the shifter left (1&2) or right of center (5 & R) the shifter would even hold in those positions. It was like the gear shift was moving in thick molasseses. For a minute if felt like it was loosening up but then I determined it was still thick.

I would not call this a mechanic feel or force.

Does this sound right for a 20-30F car that has been sitting for a month?

It was in heated storage the last two winters, so this is rather concerning.

Thoughts?

Shawn

Ohio

Did you warm it up well?

PK

I would not say well, as I decided to not take it for a run until I did some research. I've drive many stick cars over the year and never felt a "thick" stick like this before. I've had a few vanagons (also transaxle units) that felt slightly thick but nothing like this.

It does seem extreme. Couldn’t hurt anything though, to put it in neutral and let it idle up to temp. You’d at least know if it were a temperature issue. Engine heat should warm the trans. up enough.

Regards, PK

(leave the garage door open please)

Edited by pk2

Yeah, this does sound extreme. What kind of transmission oil are you running and when did you last change it? I did not have Mobil 1 gear oil available in my area when I changed mine. So I put in Castrol full synthetic oil instead. It's not a good replacement! The Castrol makes changing gears much more difficult when it's cold. So I'll also have a problem like yours with difficulty shifting when cold, but again not as extreme as your case. It does go back to normal in my car once warmed up. I'll be switching back to Mobil 1 once I round some up and get around to it.

Another thing besides the transmission oil that might be the problem is just if there's some kind of mechanical binding. Maybe some little critter trying to stay warm has caused some problem.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm sure I'm OEM as we are at 70K on a 1997 and the previous owner would have never done such an item. I've had it a year and gear oil wasn't on my todo list any time soon!

We have warm weather here today and a light rain. I'll take it out today for a spin and natural shower to get the dust off it. We'll see if it loosens up.

Nothing seems binding.

...Maybe some little critter trying to stay warm has caused some problem.

Just my 2 cents...

Funny I had that thought to, another reason for heating it up and letting the little bones fall where they may. Not like having incineration on the heater core, BTDT.

PK