Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

On-board Computer Project

Tool Pants,

Thanks for the reply. I can not see the outside air temperature now. I think I would want to use the factory stalk. Your DVD looks interesting. Where can one purchase it? I just did a retrofit on a 993. It was not difficult but it was involved.

Thanks again,

Hank

• Moderators

I looked at the 993 instructions on Robin's site and it is much more involved than a 996/Boxster.

Your 996 already has the outside air temp sensor. It also has the OBC - but it needs to be turned on with the PST2. No parts are required to get the outside temp display. Most dealers turned them on before the customer picked up their then new car - but once in a blue moon someone has a 996/Boxster and it had not been turned on.

Some dealers will turn it on for free and some will charge $50 for pushing the buttons on the PST2. Get the OBC turned on first. Then let me know if you want to do the retrofit so that you can see all the additional displays.

Tool Pants:

I read the post you recommended and before I say anything else, let me say that I don't mind buying your DVD as I stated in my second post. Thanks for the shopping list of parts. I am still unclear as to what to do with them but I am sure the DVD explains all of that. I am very new to the 996 world but very experienced with 993s. I did own and race a '99 GT3-Cup for a year, however. So, how much is the DVD and where does one get one?

Thanks again,

Hank

• Moderators

Look under the special offers section on this board. We filmed many projects and put them on 3 DVDs. Henry makes them - I just hold the tools. I think all were sold but Henry can make another. The DVD shows how to do it with the stalk or switch and the tips I have learned over the years so you do not break expensive parts.

So, Tool Pants and others,

It sounds and looks like you need the stalk, five wires, one of which goes to any ground, and a BMW harness connector. Once this harness is fabricated you plug one end into the stalk harness connector, one wire to ground and the remaining four get inserted into a connector that is already connected to the back of the display unit. Is that correct? What am I leaving out?

Thanks in advance,

Hank

Edited by Hank Cohn

I finally got my manuals today. It looks like the stalk connector pin 1 goes to ground, stalk connector pin 2 goes to plug 2 (the white one behind the instrument panel) pin 20, stalk connector pin 3 goes to plug 2 - pin 21, stalk connector pin 3 to plug 2 - pin 22, stalk connector pin 5 to plug 2 - pin 23, stalk connector pin 6 is not used. Can that really be all? The 993 requres 15 other connections to get the functionality to work.

Thanks,

Hank

• Moderators

Your wiring is off.

#1 wire is ground. On your year you insert the other 4 wires into empty slots in the white connector that plugs into the back of the cluster. #2 wire goes to slot 20. #3 goes to 21. #4 goes to 22. #5 goes to 25.

The connector at the other end of the wires that plugs into the stalk has 6 slots for 6 wires but we only need 5, so slot 6 is not used.

This is the harness we show how to make plugged in to the OBC stalk.

post-2-1083009355_thumb.jpg