Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Plz Help...need new Battery....

Hey Everybody...

new to the board. Glad i found this site. I took over my brothers 1999 porsche boxster about 18 months ago when my s2000 lease was up and he needed an SUV for a growing family.

...The Battery died and i just called the dealer and they want $320 installed which, i have gotten use to porsche service prices but $320 for a battery was not kosher with me. I see that Sears offers a replacement Diehard international but on their site it had poor reviews. Pepboys offers a Bosch battery $110 installed. I never owned a car that i did not service at the dealer. If anyone here can confirm that Pepboys is a good alternative or sears or Auto zone.... i would appreciate it. Or if you have any other recommendations.... I know i have to get a size 48 with a minimum of 650cold crank

Thanks in advance!

Hey Everybody...

new to the board. Glad i found this site. I took over my brothers 1999 porsche boxster about 18 months ago when my s2000 lease was up and he needed an SUV for a growing family.

...The Battery died and i just called the dealer and they want $320 installed which, i have gotten use to porsche service prices but $320 for a battery was not kosher with me. I see that Sears offers a replacement Diehard international but on their site it had poor reviews. Pepboys offers a Bosch battery $110 installed. I never owned a car that i did not service at the dealer. If anyone here can confirm that Pepboys is a good alternative or sears or Auto zone.... i would appreciate it. Or if you have any other recommendations.... I know i have to get a size 48 with a minimum of 650cold crank

Thanks in advance!

Funny, I’ve never taken my Porsches or BMWs to a dealer for out of pocket service… $320 for a battery…That’s great if it lasts 20 years (hint, it won't, neither will the car)

Look at the batteries life expectancy, Their rated in years or months and that’s just about what you will get out of them. I’ve never had one die prematurely.

5 or 6 years are convenient. If they die early you’ll be given pro rata credit on your next battery, in other words you pay by the month rafadless of how long it lasts. Do have them do a load test et al. to make sure you charging stystem is in good shape

Regards, PK

Hey Everybody...

Thanks in advance!

Funny, I’ve never taken my Porsches or BMWs to a dealer for out of pocket service… $320 for a battery…That’s great if it lasts 20 years (hint, it won't, neither will the car)

Look at the batteries life expectancy, Their rated in years or months and that’s just about what you will get out of them. I’ve never had one die prematurely.

5 or 6 years are convenient. If they die early you’ll be given pro rata credit on your next battery, in other words you pay by the month rafadless of how long it lasts. Do have them do a load test et al. to make sure you charging stystem is in good shape

Regards, PK

Thanks for the info....

I just got back from PepBoys. I wound up going with them and their Bosch 48 700cca battery. Total bill came to $162.27 installed. Knocking on wood that all is good. First time for me in 11 years of driving that i had service done by a non-dealer so i hope all is good. I know many people tell me i am crazy to always go to dealer but i always felt comfortable. I am a freak with my rides and always want to know who is doing the work... being in manhattan the horror stories i hear from friends that went to independents is worrysome for me...

Thanks for all the info!!!

Say, 99Boxsterkid..........

I really recommend that you hunt around for a good independent mechanic. Forums like this one can help you locate one. We tend to refer to dealers as "stealers" for a good reason. Just because parts (eg battery) is original OEM does not mean it's better than after market items. Saving big bucks does require some research. Also, depending on your skills, garage availability and money, some DIY can save you a bundle. Again, this forum and ones like it car really help. Remember that the dealer's service dept is only as good as the person that worked on your car. They have time allotted to each job they do...so it's rare to have a dealer mechanic really put the effort into figuring out what is unique about your problem and car.

With a 1999 car, an oil change is likely to cost you more than the car is worth!

Personally I subscribe to Consumer's Reports..... Great tests on batteries, tires, etc.

On the other hand, stay away from jiffy lube, Midas, etc.

Best of luck with your new toy.

Or you could try changing it yourself. It's pretty straight forward and you'll learn to turn a wrench a little bit. Also, in the future you can try the DEKA ETX14 battery which is a great mod for some quick weight savings since the thing weighs 14lbs vs. the 40+lb stock battery.

hey itzbob46, i will definitely be looking for a reliable mechanic as an alternative to the dealer. Only problem is i am very limited by what is near me, i am in New york City but i am determined to find a guy who specializes in porsches.

hey boostiality, its tough for me to work on my car being that i do not have a garage or storage for tools.