Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Buying a 2004 CS, couple of questions please

Hi folks,

we have had a Boxster S for a couple of years, and have become huge Porsche fans, so why not add an SUV?

We have found a 2004 CS with 45k miles at the dealer who sold us our boxster. It's at a great price, as it is not loaded out(Xenon lights and sunroof about the only options on it), and it's Porsche Certified. we will have about 2 years left on the warranty based on the 6 year/100k warranty from in-service date.

A couple of questions:

1. is there any reason we should hesitate on getting a 2004 CS? I have read many posts on the forum and nothing jumps out at me.

2. silly question, but this one has the crappy Bose sound system, with the subwoofer in the back under what looks like a compact spare tire cover. the sales manager told us not all Cayennes came with spares. there is a bottle of fix-a-flat gel in the back.

We will be having a real sound system installed, and will rip out the subwoofer. is it possible to get a compact spare to put where the sub currently is? I'm very concerned about being on a long highway trip, and getting a flat that the gel won't repair. Then I have to figure out how to handle locating a Pirelli tire for a replacement if it can't be patched...

thanks very much for your help!

Carolyn J.

1. is there any reason we should hesitate on getting a 2004 CS? I have read many posts on the forum and nothing jumps out at me.

2. silly question, but this one has the crappy Bose sound system, with the subwoofer in the back under what looks like a compact spare tire cover. the sales manager told us not all Cayennes came with spares. there is a bottle of fix-a-flat gel in the back.

I bought a 2004 Cayenne Turbo in June of 2007 for $52,000 with 38k miles. Make sure you are getting a solid deal. Even ebay auctions are cheaper than what you would think - a quick search will bring up a lot more than than just this one, but it was the first I opened.

2004 Cayenne S, with 37k miles, buy it now under 32k

Realize that you'll need additional shipping (under $1000 is common and reasonable), ebay charges (what is it now, 3%?), but overall only you can tell what the better deal is going to end up for you.

1. Electrical problems are frequent in 2004 and earlier models. Also keep in mind the navigation CDs are dated and no longer updated (but I'm working on that). Make SURE the navigation CDs are included with the car when you buy them; they're $300 for a new set, and navigation will not function without them. If it has a CD changer, make SURE the CD magazine is in the changer (the removable part that holds the CDs).

2. I have seen 2 other Cayennes without spare tires in the spare tire well; both had an extra battery in there because accessories just kill the stock battery setup in hours. I've left my ipod connected overnight and gotten a dead battery. As far as whether they come with/without a spare, I don't have the data to back it up.

Edited by 3ball

Hi folks,

we have had a Boxster S for a couple of years, and have become huge Porsche fans, so why not add an SUV?

We have found a 2004 CS with 45k miles at the dealer who sold us our boxster. It's at a great price, as it is not loaded out(Xenon lights and sunroof about the only options on it), and it's Porsche Certified. we will have about 2 years left on the warranty based on the 6 year/100k warranty from in-service date.

A couple of questions:

We will be having a real sound system installed, and will rip out the subwoofer. is it possible to get a compact spare to put where the sub currently is? I'm very concerned about being on a long highway trip, and getting a flat that the gel won't repair. Then I have to figure out how to handle locating a Pirelli tire for a replacement if it can't be patched...

thanks very much for your help!

Carolyn J.

The spare tire was, in fact, optional for this vehicle. You can order an inflatable spare and add it to your Cayenne from your Porsche dealer.

2004s have been a little bit of a crap shoot in terms of problems. They are vastly better than 2003 models, but they are not without problems. A Cayenne with a build date in 2003 should probably be avoided.

My suggestion is to ask the dealer to pull the service history for you to review. You want to make sure this car hasn't had major issues, and that the relevant TSBs have been done. The biggest common problems for 2004 Cayennes seem to be:

- Transmission (mostly early build models)

- Cardan shaft

- Coils

- Assorted small problems, like inadequate wiper blades, fogged up headlights, etc.

If you find a good 2004 Cayenne, you could be very happy. If everything checks out, you will probably be happy.

For reference, my Cayenne was built in May of 2004. It has had a few minor things here and there, but nothing major. I've been very happy with it.

Good luck!

I have an '04 CS; love it. Mine came with the external full size spare tire carrier/gate. I understand, from the Seattle dealership, that this is an add-on that they've put on several Cayennes, as it satisfies all the real requirements of a spare. The down side: it's about $7k!!

I was not a fan of the look of this whole 'unit' and opted to remove it. I've had it stored in my garage for a year now. If you're interested in this type of spare, I'd let mine go. I have all the necessary parts, including the bumper, the carriage, the wheel, tire, cover, nameplate, wiring harness, etc.