Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clamshell Banging - How To Adjust Height?

I have had numerous problems with the clamshell banging up and down over bumps in the road. This only comes from one side of the shell (the right hand side)

Initially, I thought it was just the small black sliding mechanism which adjusts the height so I slid it forward (ie. to raise the shell) and this solved the banging until I lowered the top and it then slid backwards again.

I then noticed that the levelling mechanism was very loose so I replaced that and also the piece of black rubber on the clamshell which rests on top of it as it seemed worn.

After 2 or three times of opening and closing the top, the levelling mechanism is still sliding backwards when opening / lowering the roof because the black rubber on the clamshell is dragging into the levelling mechanism (the wear is very apparent).

This tells me that the clamshell on that side of the car sits too low or is incorrectly aligned when opening / closing the top. This is supported by noise from the rubber as it pulls at the levelling mechanism when openning / closing the roof.

Thanks for your advice!

Edited by mcare

• Moderators

Do you have any pictures of what is going on as it is hard to understand.

The reason the clamshell does not bounce up and down is the black rods that clamp it down to the body. When the top is going down the motor runs for about a second after the clamshell is down so those rods can put tension on the arms for the clamshell.

There is a height adjustment for the clamshell. If you remove the black plastic cover on the arm you will see a set screw and a lock nut. Same on both sides. The screw is eccentric. Turn the screw one way and the clamshell moves up - the other way it moves down.

post-46-1083957395_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I can't post picks as I don't have a digital camera :(

Anyway, let me see if I can explain it better in point form:

1. Over bumps it sounds like the clamshell is "banging".

2. In an attempt to fix this I adjusted the two rectangular "height adjusters" that fit into the grooves which the edges of the clamshell slide into. I adjusted these forward so that the clamshell is raised and therefore there is more tension on the clamshell. This fixed the banging until I cycled the roof when it came back again. This was because the djusters were sliding backward and therefore dropping the clamshell

3. When I adjsted the "height adjusters" I noticed that:

i) the height adjuster on the right hand side slides forward and backward much more easily than the left (it appeared the "teeth" of the adjuster had worn down); and

ii) the rubber edge of the right hand clamshell which slots into the groove and over the "height adjuster" was worn where it touched the adjuster.

4. In response to point 3 above I replaced:

i) the "height adjuster" on the right hand side; and

ii) the rubber edge of the clamshell on the right hand side.

5. As soon as I replaced the components in point 4 above I notice that the rubber on the right hand side was worn after 2-3 "cycles of the roof".

6. As a result of point 6 I conclude that the right hand side of the clam shell sits too low / is improperly aligned because the rubber should not wear on the edge of the heigh adjuster so quickly.

Can anyone please help :help:

Edited by mcare

• 2 months later...