Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Fluid Reservoir leak? Safety concern?

dear all,

a few weeks ago i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on the top of the brake fluid reservoir. i figured the cap was not seated on all the way (or seated properly). i wiped the fluid and re-seated the brake fluid reservoir cap. i did notice that if i tightened it too much, it would click and i'd have to re-tighten it all over again (stopping right before the click)

today i noticed a little bit of brake fluid on top of the reservoir again. you can see it right around the edge:

2354545971_0ac59cc77f_b.jpg

the brakes seem totally fine. i had them bleed by a high end independent porsche shop about 9 months ago (~5K miles ago).

any ideas of what this could be? the fluid is right around the 'max' marks. my first step will be replacing the reservoir cap but if anybody has any other suggestions, i'd LOVE to hear them.

thanks.

P.S. - what does the "clean filter cap before removing" mean? why before? how can you clean it before removing? gosh i feel stupid, i suspect the answer will be super simple.

P.P.S. - FWIW, i searched the forum without much luck

P.P.P.S - i do exercise the brakes a lot when driving (withing speed limits of course :D )

• Moderators

" Clean filler cap before removing " means that you must wipe the dirt off the cap to prevent dirt penetration in to the fluid reservoir. The cap is probably closed with to much force and the windings can be damaged, in the cap or on the reservoir or both.