Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone used Ruf, Gemballa or Cargraphic upgrades?

Hi gang, I'm trying to get input/assessment from actual users of Ruf, Gemballa and Cargraphic 996 upgrades. So far, all I've been able to hear are outsider opinions of style and what I'm really trying to discern is product quality in terms of fitment, material, engineering thoughtfulness, power (if applicable), durability and also service support in the case of powertrain enhancements. I've read the "Ooohs and Ahhhs" articles in the magazines, but haven't had the opportunity to talk to an actual user who can share his experience.

I know Ruf is classified as a manufactuer, and also that Cargraphic and Gemballa both are involved in racing, so they all should have good products. But....as we all know, the proof is in the pudding, so anyone have a first-hand story to share? It's important to avoid marketing hype and get real-world usage info when making decisions. (Please no style opinions, just the facts ma'am...er, sir.) :D

Ok - if you search other forums you can verify all this stuff...I think you need to be more specific and what you are comparing, body upgrades, wheels or engine stuf...

RUF's engine stuff is next to none although a bit pricey. RUF stands behind their products 110%. A good example is some people were having problems with the RUF coilovers for the 996TT so RUF flew a tech from Germany to weach owner to fix the problem!!

The RUF 550 kit for the 996TT put out the exact same numbers on a dyno as the Imagine Auto 600HP kit whcih only cost half as much (search rennlist, this was KPV and someone else's RUF dynoed the same day at AWE tuning).

For body stuff I think Techart and Strosek are pretty good. Never tried Gemballa but heard many not so great comments on the fitment of their 993 style hood for the 996 and boxster...

TechArt is really really great in bodyworks, especially with their Turbo wide bodywork for the slimbody 996, saw one 40th Anniv. model in the Essen Motor Show with wided body from TechArt.

And don't forget Roock Sportsystem, makes really dezent tuning, and with power the with-in.

cheers,

Tony

Ok - if you search other forums you can verify all this stuff...I think you need to be more specific and what you are comparing, body upgrades, wheels or engine stuf...

Thanks, here's some more specifics on the tuner upgrade judging criteria:

I'm trying to cut through hype and find out what REALLY works well in terms of:

• Body/Aerodynamics: good fitment and material compared to OE (not asking for style opinion here)

• Suspension: quality, performance, thoroughness in approach to improving handling over OE for street and especially track use

• Wheels: finish quality, durability, lightness, desirable offset and width (I know there are custom wheel companies, but I want to hear about the ones the tuners offer that match their brand to see if they're worth it or not)

• Powertrain: power and torque increase, drivability, installation ease, service support

• Interior: quality of materials and fit, durability over normal use

In addition to Ruf, Cargraphic, Gemballa, I realize there is Roock, Techart, Strosek, and others to consider from Europe, so that's okay too.

I know there are plenty of race and tuning shops here in the US that can install parts that do similar things to what the Euro's offer, but I'm primarily concerned here with looking at European-made upgrade products first in this case and getting real-world experiences, good or bad.

THANK YOU for your candid input! Much appreciated.

Note to other posters: please keep style opinions out of your post, that's off-topic, I'm going for non-aesthetic input here. Thanks again, your first-hand accounts of usage is really helpful.

Btw, it's really nice to see all the upgrades you did to your 996TTs (I also looked at your install pics). It's good to experiment both for individuality and for increasing performance which is what theses cars are all about. The purists are kind of boring to me. Porsches were originally high performance cars that were a departure from more common street cars, so in my opinion, modifying continues that spirit and pushes for higher levels of performance and innovation.