Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

litronic levelling

I recently bought a 2001 S with factory litronic lights. As this is the third car in the family with xenon lighting (Focus ST and Mazda 5) I was expecting the same superb lighting.

When dipped the lights look reasonably good but on main beam they are disappointing to say the least. There is a really dark spot right in the middle and the foreground seems very bright. On main beam, all the bulbs (including the H7s) are working but I've noticed there is no trace of movement from either of the litronic adjuster motors in the light units. I'm guessing this is the root of the problem.

Anyone any ideas how this system is supposed to work? Does the level sensor look at car rake angle or is it simply a reference from horizontal? If so, how does it know when the car is going up or down hill, when braking etc?

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

D

• Moderators

Litronics have an additional connector on the back of the headlight for the motor. This connector must be disconnected in order to remove the headlight. Check to see that it is connected by removing the headlight. The previous owner may have removed the headlights and forgot to reconnect them.

The high beam adjustment can be tested, but you need to find someone with a PST2/PIWIS.

There are level sensors on the suspension on the left side of the car. If you take a left wheel off you can see it. There is a moveable link from the sensor to suspension. You should check to see that the link has not become disconnected.

Litronics have an additional connector on the back of the headlight for the motor. This connector must be disconnected in order to remove the headlight. Check to see that it is connected by removing the headlight. The previous owner may have removed the headlights and forgot to reconnect them.

The high beam adjustment can be tested, but you need to find someone with a PST2/PIWIS.

There are level sensors on the suspension on the left side of the car. If you take a left wheel off you can see it. There is a moveable link from the sensor to suspension. You should check to see that the link has not become disconnected.

Thanks Toolpants, checked the headlight units and the left side unit was not connected. Re-assembled and tested - both sides now motor up and down with the dip switch, ie., it looks like the left unit controls both motors. Maybe...

Thanks again, David

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Toolpants, checked the headlight units and the left side unit was not connected. Re-assembled and tested - both sides now motor up and down with the dip switch, ie., it looks like the left unit controls both motors. Maybe...

Thanks again, David

B)

I thought this was a bit too easy...

Switched on lights tonight and neither adjuster motor is working again. Checked connectors in both headlight units and both are connected correctly.

Is there a relay somewhere? or a fuse? any other ideas? Does anyone know what voltages should be on which pins? Or where I can find a wiring diagram?

Thanks for any help.

David

Thanks again, David

B)

Switched on lights tonight and neither adjuster motor is working again. Checked connectors in both headlight units and both are connected correctly.

Is there a relay somewhere? or a fuse? any other ideas? Does anyone know what voltages should be on which pins? Or where I can find a wiring diagram?

Thanks for any help.

David

More checking, both light unit 4 pin connectors have about 3.6volts on all four pins whether the lights are on main beam or dipped. I've found the control unit for them behind the front boot trim next to the m'cyl reservoir but it has too many pins to check without a diagram - but it definitely has at least one pin with 12v on it all the time the headlights are on and one that has 12v on it when on main beam that goes to 0v when dipped. So to me it looks as if the control unit is getting power and a signal so is probably faulty?

I guess I'll need to buy one to find out... I'll let you know.

David

Thanks again, David

B)

Thanks for any help.

David

More checking, both light unit 4 pin connectors have about 3.6volts on all four pins whether the lights are on main beam or dipped. I've found the control unit for them behind the front boot trim next to the m'cyl reservoir but it has too many pins to check without a diagram - but it definitely has at least one pin with 12v on it all the time the headlights are on and one that has 12v on it when on main beam that goes to 0v when dipped. So to me it looks as if the control unit is getting power and a signal so is probably faulty?

I guess I'll need to buy one to find out... I'll let you know.

David

OK - problem solved I think.

The control unit is not faulty.

What was wrong was a bent pin on one of the adjuster motor connectors preventing the socket from fully engaging and getting an intermittent connection.

What I didn't understand was that the control unit doesn't work if any one of the adjusters is disconnected. ie., if one headlight is disconnected then both motors stop working. Out of curiosity I've checked and disconnecting one side at a time (doesn't matter which) causes both motors to stop working. A bit counter intuitive...

Now for some beer...

David