Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DENSION Gateway 500

Hi All. I've just completed installing a Dension Gateway 500 unit in my car , and thought I'd post a few comments on the results.

The Kit I purchased was the latest generation Gateway 500 (Dual FOT) unit that now has a simple plug and play connection allowing you to connect onto the original CD changer fibre optic plug. This means that the original MOST fibre optics do not need to be disturbed and going back to the original "set up" is easy.

There are about 12 screws in the front trunk that need to be removed to allow you all the access you need to fit the unit. The plastic cover that goes over the brake reservoir/ Navigation drive/ CD drive is the only part you really need to remove. The Cd changer and Navi unit are bolted into an enclosure that is simply slotted into tag fixings in the car , so getting access to the rear wiring and Cd changer MOST plug is simple , you just pull the unit forward. The Dension uses two wires for power , one live and one ground and comes complete with its own fuse , so its a doddle to fit if you have scotchlock connectors handy. The unit fits neatly under the top cover of the Cd/Nav enclosure allowing access to the device and an I pod if connected.

I opted for the Dension rather than Nav Tv or Mobridge alternatives , based on price and flexibility that the Dension unit gives. In my case I wanted to play MP3 files from a USB flash drive , rather than get involved with I pods or MP3 players and formats. You can select the music from the USB drive direct from the head unit , so with a 16 Gb drive you have all the music you will ever really need. Once you get used to the menu structure finding songs and artists is really quite simple , made easier if you also have the optional multi function steering wheel (this can be retro fitted).

With sucjh a large catalogue of music you do have to be patient the first time you plug in the USB drive as the track information has to be read into the PCM memory as a one off. In my case I went for a two hour drive , at the end of which everything was loaded up into the PCM. Since the dension is now powered by the same permanent live and ground that also supply the Cd changer the loading process doesnt need repeating. Originally I was miffed that my early PCM was not MP3 compatable , but fitting the Dension has really turned this around and I'm now very pleased with the MP3 capability and huge capacity I now have available.

It was a simple , but lengthy task of ripping my music CD's using microsoft media player at a bit rate of 256 bps. Media player can automatically search and enter all the track/ artist/ genre info into the ID3 tag for the MP3 file. This allows the search facility on the Dension unit. All you need do is load the CD in the drive of your PC and click RIP on mediaplayer menu ! The sound quality is excellent and selecting albums , no more difficult than a similar task on a CD changer. Anyone with a PCM or CDR 23/24 that's into music or long drives, I would thoroughly recommend fitting a Dension unit with USB drive.

P0001813.jpg

P0001809.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

How long did it take to put in and where did you tap the power from? Lastly you mentioned it has 2 wires for power, but the pic shows two different connectors with 2 wires in one and quite a few wires in the other - what are these for?

Fitting instructions are supplied with the unit. The device takes about an hour to install if you are fitting it in the same location as I did and do not intend to install the USB or I pod connection inside the car. I used the power cables supplying the Cd changer and scotch locked onto them , to take a supplimentary feed. All the other wiring you see in the pic is local stuff required and supplied with the dension. The orange wires are the MOST fibre optic , be careful with these as they are glass , so you cannot fold or crease them , only make a gentle coil. The wires to the left of the USB stick is the power feed , the connector to the right is for the aux in / Cd changeover switch you see on the left side of the pic

This was bizarre... I did a refresh (just today) on densionusa.com's site, and got this:

http://www.densionusa.com/[/url] ']Dension Audio Systems, Ltd. and Dension USA, Inc. have terminated

their relationship, whereby Dension USA distributed Dension Audio

Systems products in North America. Effective immediately,

Dension USA is no longer selling, servicing or supporting

Dension Audio Systems products.

For support regarding products purchased from Dension USA. Inc., please

contact the product's respective manufacturer.

I wonder what the scoop is.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this require PCM or can either of these gateways be added to a non-PCM car?

I have an 07 Boxster and an 04 Cayenne S that I'm considering adding this to.

Edited by limbo

• 3 months later...

Berty, can you tell me what colour the +ve and ground cables are going into the back of the CD Changer? I just bought my Dension Dual FOT unit and want to get it running ASAP! Also any ideas on how to get the aux in, USB and Ipod cables into the glovebox? I had a brief look but there was no obvious grommet asking to be punched out.

Berty, can you tell me what colour the +ve and ground cables are going into the back of the CD Changer? I just bought my Dension Dual FOT unit and want to get it running ASAP! Also any ideas on how to get the aux in, USB and Ipod cables into the glovebox? I had a brief look but there was no obvious grommet asking to be punched out.

Hi,

The changer lead has three wires, you are interested in the red/green one (+ve) and the brown one (-ve). You can solder in line or take a tap, I chose to take a tap and I think Berty did the same. Also take a look here http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=103&cat=5

There are two big grommets that you can use. One is in the trunk and gets you through to the battery area, I believe there are two, one on either side. They are really big - you will have no problem finding them. There is another one that goes from the battery area to the passenger area - it is a big grommet just behind the battery. If you get down into the footwell and reach up towards the top you can see it (it at the top of the right hand side footwell on my RHD car). I am about to route the BTA1500 microphone cable myself so this is from memory so far! I just leave the ipod in the trunk - if you have PCM you get all the info you need on the screen. I'd do the same for a USB drive unless you'll be swapping it out all the time.

Also look at

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...t=202&cat=5

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showprod...ct=99&cat=5

Don't forget - if you have a CD changer then the install is pretty much plug and play, and you use both FOT ports. If you don't have a CD changer then you only use one of the FOT ports and you must install the Dension into the loop in series with everything else. Instructions on how to do this are included with the unit if you are unsure. The order is Head Unit -> Amp -> Dension/Changer -> Navigation -> Back to Head Unit.

Good luck

Matt.

Edited by mattd

Also, if you don't have a CD changer installed, you have to have the Porsche dealer tell the car it has a CD player, i.e., the Dension GW500 emulates the CD. I bought mine from http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html Eric, the owner, is a wealth of information and will help guide you step by step. I did the install myself, put the GW500 unit behind the radio and the USB/iPod in my glove box. Therefore I avoided the front trunk area all together. One last point... In fine print, the 12v hot wire needs to connect to a non-switched constant hot source.

I got mine in and it plays, though I am getting iPod UI on the screen and not getting any track details. I'm flashing the unit with the new firmware just now but not sure what to do next to complete setup. I got it into config mode and tried to enable paging and select but that didn't do anything useful...so once I've flashed it to 2.11 I'll go looking for more instructions. Install was fairly straightforward though I have yet to fish the cables into the passenger compartment - I don't think they'll be long enough :(

New firmware on, got it into iPod GW mode, got PAGING and SELECT configured (I think!) - so now when I scroll through a list I get to the next page option and push the round knob, it starts to play the first track of the next page, instead of just displaying the page. Is that normal?

This caught me out too... I couldn't get it to select IPod GW rather than UI.

Select disk 6 (change source), change the track until IPod GW displayed, now press and hold the fast forward for a few seconds. It will change the source to IPod GW and you'll get all the track info on the PCM. Ipod UI is if you have the ipod in the car with you.

As for cable length - I think K-Man on the cayman club needed an extender - see the links above.

If I remember right, mine changes the track when you select the next page.

Also if you select an album or artist, wait for 30s and it will go auto to another selection and then you will be able to forward through tracks like usual. If you try and do this straight away you will just end up moving through the album/artist.

Hope that makes sense!

Edited by mattd

I just installed a dension gateway 500 unit today in my 997 with PCM (no changer)

and I all I seem to see is track 1, track 2, track 3 under the ipod settings...

I've read online that you need to get Porsche to activate the cd changer option so the Dension works correctly...

Did any of you go through this process or did you avoid it to? Seems strange I would need to do that just for ipod text.

I just installed a dension gateway 500 unit today in my 997 with PCM (no changer)

and I all I seem to see is track 1, track 2, track 3 under the ipod settings...

I've read online that you need to get Porsche to activate the cd changer option so the Dension works correctly...

Did any of you go through this process or did you avoid it to? Seems strange I would need to do that just for ipod text.

Enzo, your CD changer is enabled already so you don't need to go to the dealership for anything.

What you do need to do is switch from the iPod UI mode into iPod GW mode. Please see MattD's post above on how to do that. Once that's done, you'll see all the info come up.

I also suggest you put the latest firmware on your gateway 500. This is available from the Dension support site - current release is 2.11 for MOST bus cars such as ours.

Good luck!

Chirag.

Thats the thing when I go to CD 6 it just attempts to play a track then just back to CD 5.

Nowhere on my display do I see Ipod written on the screen GW or UI.

I've attempted to put it in a different mode by putting on CD 6 but it just tries to play track 1/1??

I hold FF but it doesn't do anything just changes back to CD 5.

It's weird because no matter what CD I pick it just says 4/99, etc 5/99 or 8/8, 1/1, random numbers

I'm lost... :(

ps. I don't have the multi-disc changer.. just the single in dash changer.

All I see is:

CD 1

CD 2

CD 3

CD 4

CD 5

CD 6

Instead of:

Ipod GW

Ipod UI

AUX

etc... idk even what i am supposed to see... it doesnt show anything

I've also attempted updating the firmware with the USB disk drive and it replaces the ROM file with the other one like it says it should on Densions instruction site but that doesn't do anything either. I can't see anything on the screen to indicate its actually updated. Should there be something to show that it worked?

Edited by enzo
Merged posts

I've also tried putting it into 'config mode' which you do by toggling the switch back and forth three times but that doesn't do anything?

I don't see any information about what firmware I'm using either on my iPod screen either like Dension's user guide says. meh...

If I can chime in here on this one. The I pod doesnt't need to be in the car with you to be operate so I wouldn't bother running the cables through to the glove box , with all the hassle this involves. There is plenty of room under the front cover where the CD changer/ nav modules sit , to put an ipod and the cables. There are also more options for picking up power and earth points in the front trunk than inside the car.

As to CD changer compatability , not all cars are enabled with this function, it is part of a coding menu within the PCM that is set by the workshop tool. If you want to check if your PCM has been coded for a CD changer , press the MAIN and TRIP buttons together to get the PCM service menu. There will be a list displayed of the coded devices such as PHONE , AMP , CD etc. If CD is not displayed then the car is not coded for it. There is also one other point to watch, the MOST fibre optic system by which the CD changer/ Dension is linked to the PCM , has a set layout. In other words certain devices must be connected into the MOST loop in the correct order. PCM to BOSE to CD to NAV. so the CD changer / dension must be in the loop before the NAV. There should be an arrow on the black part of the MOST cable plug to identify the direction of signal.

Edited by berty987

So if I push MAIN and TRIP and don't see CD, I'm out of luck as far as track names? Or is that just to check if the dealer has enabled it?

Also if the devices aren't connected in the right order would the Dension still work? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it because mine still works but I'm not sure what order it was done in. Another thing that gets me is the fact that my setup works no matter what the dip switches are set to... Something is definitely wrong :(

Here are my results from the MAIN and TRIP buttons...

It seems weird the target and actual are pointing to different places?

Strange. I have have nothing in target, only actual.

I notice that your PCM says version 2.1. This is an old software version so there could be an incompatability with the Dension?

You should be able to get the PCM up to version 3.0 (the dealer will have to do this for you).

I think you must have everything in the right order because it is all listed there.

If you have upgraded your Dension try rebooting it (pull power out and plug back in). Go into the config mode and check the the options are correct for the PCM. I can't remember off the top of my head but the recommended options for PCM are listed in the install guide. Are the DIP switches on the Dension in the right place (you did change them)?

Also when you are on CD 6, use the right knob on the PCM and select track list. Let us know what you see in there - you should see IPod GW.

Is music actually playing from the IPod at the moment, just that you don't get the track names (just checking!!) :)

Edited by mattd

Here are my results from the MAIN and TRIP buttons...

It seems weird the target and actual are pointing to different places?

Strange. I have have nothing in target, only actual.

I notice that your PCM says version 2.1. This is an old software version so there could be an incompatability with the Dension?

You should be able to get the PCM up to version 3.0 (the dealer will have to do this for you).

I think you must have everything in the right order because it is all listed there.

If you have upgraded your Dension try rebooting it (pull power out and plug back in). Go into the config mode and check the the options are correct for the PCM. I can't remember off the top of my head but the recommended options for PCM are listed in the install guide. Are the DIP switches on the Dension in the right place (you did change them)?

Also when you are on CD 6, use the right knob on the PCM and select track list. Let us know what you see in there - you should see IPod GW.

Is music actually playing from the IPod at the moment, just that you don't get the track names (just checking!!) :)

I might have to upgrade the PCM yeah... Hopefully thats not a costly process <_<

The dip switch settings are correct they are configured for PCM with no Cd Changer which is my setup.

Yeah, the music plays from the iPod just I can't seem to pull names...

At no point of operating the Dension have i've seen a screen saying IPod GW, AUX....

Whenever I go to CD 6 I Don't see IPod GW, no form of text at all... Even in config mode it doesn't say config on the screen.

Apparenly it's supposed to somehow show what firmware you are using too on your ipod or on the main screen? Yeah, haven't seen that either...

Edited by enzo

1. Turning on ignition and the head unit, a connected iPod will show the Gateway 500 Firmware

version and the selected car configuration.

DENSION

www.dension.com

ID00001254 Service tag

G5_MB_2.08

http://support.dension.com/downloads/GW500..._Manual_v11.pdf

At the bottom of that PFD it says you are supposed to see your gateway firmware when you turn on the unit but it doesn't do that if this helps clarify what i meant.