Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Interior door lights staying on after exiting car '00 986S

I noticed this evening while garage light was off that my interior doors lights remained on. I checked and both doors were properly closed. The lights would go off if I put key back into igniition or turned alarm on. I had replaced an oem battery with Optima 34r red top earlier this week. Possibly the oem battery had died because of this drain, I finally got the interior lights to go off - but not sure what it finally took to do it. Is this the start of needing to replace ignition switch? The key does seem to rotate okay and isn't getting stuck when being removed.

The lights were on for about 1-2 hours. I am going to keep an eye on this to make sure I don't get stuck somewhere with a dead battery. Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the recent battery change. I know ignition switch is a common problem and an easy diy. Just wondering if others have seen this same issue just before needing to replace ignition switch. The tumbler does seem to turn okay and key can be removed without jockeying it around.

The dome light in the car has three postions forward middle and back these switches are a known issue.

Has the car ever had a water leak from the rear window or top area. If so the alarm(lock) control unit is under the drivers seat and they get water damaged very often as well and it controls the light funtions.

I usually keep the dome light in the off position. It does appear to move freely and turn on/off okay. I had not thought of checking the electronics below drivers seat which I will inspect today. One of neighbors has a '99 996 and told me yesterday he experienced a similar light issue which got progessively worse involving other electronics when his ignition switch went bad. This malfuntion did not repeated itself yesterday. I will kep an eye onit and probably order a switch just in case.

Driver under seat appears to be okay (not wet). I did not remove seat for an unobstructed view. The interior doors seem to going off normally now. I am definitely getting a power drain from somewhere (alarm not engaged). I lost 0.5 volts in less than a few hours. Disconnecting battery, it continues to hold power steady. I ordered ignition switch and shoudl get it next week. Any others thoughts beside ignition switch, I should check?

• Moderators

Lock the door with the remote or manual, simply closing the door without locking could be a source of power drain. The alarm control box sleeping mode is not activated. The testing condition for power drain is as mentioned and the values are in AMP. not in VOLT ( all values above 0,05 amp are critical ) and after approx. 20 minutes. Hope it helps.