Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

transmission question...need help

ok...

first... the specifics...

1999 996 C2 with LSD

98000km

B&M Short shift kitg

GMG Sport Clutch Kit (GMG Lightwwight flywheel, Sachs Race Engineering Full Faced Disc, Sachs Race Engineering Pressure Plate)

ok.. here is my problem...

i know that these kits are loud... clutch out... lots of chatter... clutch in, quiet as a bug... when in gear and driving.... its sounds like i have a cut gear box...normal right?

now.... here is the question... recently i have been having a little more trouble shifting from 1--2, no grind, just a little harder DOES NOT POP OUT. also i have been having to blip the gas to get into 1st from neutral... or else it wont go in all the time and actually pop out. and i feel like i really have to press the clutch pedal in to get it in 1 gear... the car is still drivable

i just changed the gear oil.... some metalics and very dark... the oil was previosly changed ~10000km ago...the box got a little quieter, and ~10% smoother....

second question... when the car is in the air.. i can spin the rear tires freely...when in gear... i can spin one tire and the other goes opposite....is this normal for an LSD or are the plates worn?

i know that a lot... but i thank you in advance...as my baby might have to go to sleep for awhile if i need to get a tranny.....

Rod

ok...

first... the specifics...

1999 996 C2 with LSD

98000km

B&M Short shift kitg

GMG Sport Clutch Kit (GMG Lightwwight flywheel, Sachs Race Engineering Full Faced Disc, Sachs Race Engineering Pressure Plate)

ok.. here is my problem...

i know that these kits are loud... clutch out... lots of chatter... clutch in, quiet as a bug... when in gear and driving.... its sounds like i have a cut gear box...normal right?

now.... here is the question... recently i have been having a little more trouble shifting from 1--2, no grind, just a little harder DOES NOT POP OUT. also i have been having to blip the gas to get into 1st from neutral... or else it wont go in all the time and actually pop out. and i feel like i really have to press the clutch pedal in to get it in 1 gear... the car is still drivable

i just changed the gear oil.... some metalics and very dark... the oil was previosly changed ~10000km ago...the box got a little quieter, and ~10% smoother....

May I be so bold as how you actually know you have and LSD? Did you check the stamping on the case, the 6th digit should tell you if you have an open diff, or LSD.

second question... when the car is in the air.. i can spin the rear tires freely...when in gear... i can spin one tire and the other goes opposite....is this normal for an LSD or are the plates worn?

i know that a lot... but i thank you in advance...as my baby might have to go to sleep for awhile if i need to get a tranny.....

Rod

May I be so bold as how you actually know you have and LSD? Did you check the stamping on the case, the 6th digit should tell you if you have an open diff, or LSD.

its on my options list.... MY99 with traction control and option code 220 which is the lsd

• Moderators

LSD: lift the rear of car - gearbox in neutral - turn one rear wheel in the driving direction - the opposite wheel will turn in the same direction.

NON LSD: the opposite wheel will turn in the other direction.

LSD: lift the rear of car - gearbox in neutral - turn one rear wheel in the driving direction - the opposite wheel will turn in the same direction.

Hence the reason I suggested to look at the stamping on the transaxle. The option list could be a misprint, or if you are not the original owner, the prior owners may have had the transaxles replaced and did not get the LSD. Bad clutch pacs should still allow the opposite wheel to rotate in the same direction, reason being, there is no drag and are spinning freely so worn clutch pacs may not show up spinning the wheel but act up under driving conditions.

Hence the reason I suggested to look at the stamping on the transaxle. The option list could be a misprint, or if you are not the original owner, the prior owners may have had the transaxles replaced and did not get the LSD. Bad clutch pacs should still allow the opposite wheel to rotate in the same direction, reason being, there is no drag and are spinning freely so worn clutch pacs may not show up spinning the wheel but act up under driving conditions.

update... i havent looked under the car yet.... BUT i did want to add that as long as the car gets into 1st gear, it will not pop out... it is just having issues engaging 1st sometimes...

as far as the lsd... i was also told by a reputable shop that it did have and LSD when they serviced the clutch and the gearbox oil...and when the car is in nuetral... and i turn one wheel.. the other doesnt turn at all

Edited by silver_6r

I've never driven a 911 with a short shifter, but I often read it doesn't help smooth shifting. Now, as you say that things worsened progressively, I wouldn't put the blame on it. First thing I would try after an oil change is checking the shift cables position. You need the special tool 9619 to do that properly. You can find it here:

http://www.samstagsales.com/Porsche.htm (search 9619).

They no longer display the price, but it costs $10-15.

If you suspect some excessive wear of the gearbox, one of the things you can try before a teardown is an oil sample analysis. You can order a kit on www.youroil.net for $20. If results don't look good, next step is to take the transmission out and have it inspected. Considering your mileage, it can be a good occasion to change clutch + RMS. Don't know how much a gearbox repair would cost you, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Regarding the LSD, check the S/N. If it says G26002XXXXXX, you should have it, if it says G26001XXXXXX, you shouldn't.

Laurent

I've never driven a 911 with a short shifter, but I often read it doesn't help smooth shifting. Now, as you say that things worsened progressively, I wouldn't put the blame on it. First thing I would try after an oil change is checking the shift cables position. You need the special tool 9619 to do that properly. You can find it here:

http://www.samstagsales.com/Porsche.htm (search 9619).

They no longer display the price, but it costs $10-15.

If you suspect some excessive wear of the gearbox, one of the things you can try before a teardown is an oil sample analysis. You can order a kit on www.youroil.net for $20. If results don't look good, next step is to take the transmission out and have it inspected. Considering your mileage, it can be a good occasion to change clutch + RMS. Don't know how much a gearbox repair would cost you, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Regarding the LSD, check the S/N. If it says G26002XXXXXX, you should have it, if it says G26001XXXXXX, you shouldn't.

Laurent

thanks for the info... well, i think that i will definetly put my car away for a bit, save some cash, and get a rebuilt box... and yes i verified it has an LSD box number... so go figure... it does have 98000km on it... so who knows whats up...

thanks all for the help,

Rod