Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check engine light issue

I have a 2001 2.7 Boxster 5 soeed with the check engine light stuck in yellow glow mode. Just for the record the car runs fine and the light has been on for 5 years. I took the car to Porsche and was told they could not get the OBD tester to read the computer....we can try to fix it for 130.00 per hour with no idea how long it will take...I was told. So I've lived with the problem in 3 different states until now.

I picked up an OBD code reader/clearing unit and tried to make the light go away but no luck. Once connected the reader comes alive and searches for a few seconds then shows an error message on the screen.

I can't currently reregister the car in CT because it will not pass emissions due to the light being stuck on. Any idea what might be wrong and how to correct the problem or do you know repair shop in the Brookfield CT area that can fix it for a fair price? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Joe D.

Do you have a after market radio installed? The reason I ask is VW had a problem with after market radio wired incorrectly causing a communication error on the data link. Not sure if this applies to Porsche but just thought I would throw the idea out there.

• Moderators

Interesting. For some reason the dealers tester and your obd reader cannot communicate with the DME. This is a Peter Smith type question.

A few years ago I needed a smog on my 1997, but my check engine light was on. I had 6 fault codes, but the big one was a faulty DME. Car ran fine. If the DME is faulty then you cannot be sure if the other 5 fault codes are real or not. You replace the DME then drive the car to see if any of the 5 come back.

My DME was replaced under California's 8 year emission warranty. Back then my 1997 was just 1 week shy of being 8 years old. The PIWIS was able to communicate with the DME even though the DME was faulty.

Todd Holyoak has experience with the DME. Maybe he can figure it out.

• Moderators

I spoke to Peter briefly because he is at the parade. He said the diagnostic line could be shorted out. The K&L line shorted to ground. But I guess both are the same problem.

This is over my head. He said it could take hours to figure out the problem.

You might contact Scott Slauson in Connecticut for the name of a shop. http://www.cvrpca.org/cvrcha.php

I have a 2001 2.7 Boxster 5 soeed with the check engine light stuck in yellow glow mode. Just for the record the car runs fine and the light has been on for 5 years. I took the car to Porsche and was told they could not get the OBD tester to read the computer....we can try to fix it for 130.00 per hour with no idea how long it will take...I was told. So I've lived with the problem in 3 different states until now.

I picked up an OBD code reader/clearing unit and tried to make the light go away but no luck. Once connected the reader comes alive and searches for a few seconds then shows an error message on the screen.

I can't currently reregister the car in CT because it will not pass emissions due to the light being stuck on. Any idea what might be wrong and how to correct the problem or do you know repair shop in the Brookfield CT area that can fix it for a fair price? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Joe D.

You might try imported cars of darien.