Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust opinion wanted

My '03 has headers w/o pre-cats, stock main cats, and an exhaust I bought from Jeremy of IA, which is supposed to be a Fabspeed unit. To be honest it looks just like a TopSpeed unit or one of the ones available on eBay. Anyway, I L-O-V-E the sound of the thing and with the top down the resonance isn't bad at all, but with the top up it is. Also, the resonance is right at the "being-good-highway-cruising-speed" rpm range. :P

So I had a couple of ideas to cut down, or cut out, the resonance and I would like to hear opinions about how effective they might be. Here is a pic of the exhaust for reference:

post-9469-1217957144_thumb.jpg

Option 1) Modify the Fabspeed muffler design. Install an 1.5" cross tube in between the two chambers on this muffler, and add mounting studs to the top surfaces of the chambers so that the stock isolated mounting bar can be used for mounting this to the upper mount. Between the isolation offered by the stock mounting arrangement and the equalizing cross tube, most of the resonance may be removed. I have noticed that any muffler design which has been said to NOT resonate utilizes a either an equalizing tube or a head-to-head tube like the stock muffler. I am surmising that the purpose for this is to balance the flow and reduce standing waves. These modifications would address those same issues.

Option 2) Modify my still intact stock muffler. The PPBB stock muffler mod basically copies what the sport muffler does - dump a portion of the exhaust directly from the inlet flow into the out flow. There is another mod that describes dremmeling out about a 1" square opening in the stock muffler's through tube, just inboard of where the through tube is welded to the muffler body on each side. This dumps a portion of the inlet exhaust directly into the outer chamber, or just prior to exit, bypassing the first 2 chambers. I am told that if you remove the outlet cover and look back through the two ~ 1.3" outlet holes in the muffler, you can see through to the same inlet through tube. Could I not accomplish the same result by going through those openings with a 1" drill and drilling two 1" holes in the central area of the through tube? Would this not also allow a portion of inbound exhaust to escape directly into the outlet chamber?

Hearing opinons of anyone who has tried any of these mods, or that has knowledge of the exhaust would be appreciated before I start modifying anything.

Edited by Andy_M