Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera S 19" Wheels on a boxster?

Can I fit the 19 inch wheels froma carrera on my 2007 boxster? my tires are 18/235/40 on a 8inch rim and 18/265/40 on a 9inch rim. The Carrera tires are 19/235/35 on a 8 inch rim and 19/295/35 on a 11inch rim. The front tires should fit fine. But would the rear tires fit. I know I would need spacers to get the correct offset, I'm more worried about the wheel rubbing on the inside or sticking too far out and looking dumb... Will there be any negative effects with PSM or ABS?

Edited by trunkmonkey

Can I fit the 19 inch wheels froma carrera on my 2007 boxster? my tires are 18/235/40 on a 8inch rim and 18/265/40 on a 9inch rim. The Carrera tires are 19/235/35 on a 8 inch rim and 19/295/35 on a 11inch rim. The front tires should fit fine. But would the rear tires fit. I know I would need spacers to get the correct offset, I'm more worried about the wheel rubbing on the inside or sticking too far out and looking dumb... Will there be any negative effects with PSM or ABS?

If you contribute to the forum you can gain access to the TSB's that have the information you seek... 19" wheels will fit if they have the correct offsets:

Front: 235/35 ZR 19 (87Y) 8 J x 19, RO 57

Rear: 265/35 ZR 19 (94Y) 9.5 J x 19, RO 46

From what you have written, those wheels are from a 'wide body' car, the Carrera. Having said this somebody may chime in and say they have done it with the wheels you quoted... But

It is easier IMHO to stick with what is specified by Porsche, no 'gotcha's!"

I would not event try on a '97. There were changes in the suspension in '98 to allow 18" wheels. 18's are not advisable on a '97. I have put Carrera wheels on our '98 after figuring all the tire and rim locations and getting some 25mm spacers and longer lug bolts for the rear. Be very careful in putting different wheels on your car. If the offsets are not correct and you torque the lug bolts down you may bend a strut.....

• 4 weeks later...

There is specific mention in porsche literature that the wheel bearings were updated to allow the larger wheel sizes to be fitted to the later model cars. Its not so much the wheel diameter, (though this can cause issues witth speed errors as the rolling radius can be difficult to match) its more to do with the additional cornering forces which load the axles and wheel bearings.

I ended up buying a used set of 18inch 911 turbo twists and putting them on my 987, the rim is 11inches with a 295 tire. I used a 25mm spacer for the rear and a 7mm spacer in the front, and yes the tire slightly sticks of the side of the car. You don't need a front spacer but I added them for looks. You could likely get away with a little as a 23mm spacer. So how does the car handle? It has significantly less oversteer, while I haven't really pushed it, it certainly sticks to the road more than it used to. I could often get the rear to kick taking a 90 degree turn at about 45mph, now it just turns, beware it tosses you and you passenger around instead...

So what tyres were you running before the upgrade ? 235 and 265 size rubber on 18 or 19" rims or the smaller 2.7 17" wheel option ? A wider track at the front will improve understeer , but also affects the turn in , making the car less agile. I would also be a little cautious in the wet as the wider tyres will have a greater tendency to aquaplane as the boxster is lighter over the rear tyres than a 911 , due to the differences in engine layout.

I had the Carrera S 18 wheels with 235 and 265 tires. The tires were Continental Sport Contact 2, the new tires are Pirelli P Zero 225 and 295. The P Zeros came on the rims and have tons of tread left so I have 15k or so before they'll need replacing. I'm in so cal and it almost never rains here, and when it does I drive slow anyway..... I have noticed the car feels more agile, not sure if its the more narrow tire up front or the different rubber maybe a combo of both...

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...