Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Navigation Retrofit

I just bought a used PCM 2.1 and Navigation for my car. The PCM install within 5 mins and everything is working correctly. However, I'm having trouble with the navigation unit. I believe the 997 S and GT3 (mine) uses the vertical mount navigation and my part numbers below should be for this. I cannot find a space to fit the unit! Am I suppose to remove the plastic cover in the center of the trunk to place the DVD drive?

Navigation drive 997.642.159.01

Bracke 997.642.231.00

IMG_0535-3.jpg

IMG_0536-2.jpg

Some help would be great! Thanks!

I just bought a used PCM 2.1 and Navigation for my car. The PCM install within 5 mins and everything is working correctly. However, I'm having trouble with the navigation unit. I believe the 997 S and GT3 (mine) uses the vertical mount navigation and my part numbers below should be for this. I cannot find a space to fit the unit! Am I suppose to remove the plastic cover in the center of the trunk to place the DVD drive?

Bracke 997.642.231.00

IMG_0535-3.jpg

IMG_0536-2.jpg

997C4 and apparently your GT3 use a vertical mount in front of the bulkhead. The 997C2 & S use horizontal mount where you have the black hump.

Bracke 997.642.231.00

IMG_0535-3.jpg

IMG_0536-2.jpg

997C4 and apparently your GT3 use a vertical mount in front of the bulkhead. The 997C2 & S use horizontal mount where you have the black hump.

thanks! but where is the bulkhead? am i missing other mounting materials?

Here is a link showing the part numbers and diagram for your vehicle:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/GT32-07-08/911-00.htm

It looks similar to the listing for the standard 997 (carrera 4/4S) which is slightly different than the non 4/4S. the vertical mount is shown as item #3 but it does show the horizontal mount as well. on my 06 997 S, I have a drawer location in front of the battery where this unit is supposed to go.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid and if you plan on selling the horizontal unit for a vertical one, I would be interested. I've seen them on Ebay naturally (right now, most are vertical mounts). Somewhere I've also read that the horizontal DVD when placed in the vertical position has issues and seems to be unstable for GPS. Did you have to replace the PCM unit (or did it just come paired with the DVD unit)?

Thank you! It looks like i have the correct dvd drive and mounts but need a few more hardware to mount the nav drive.

I do not have a horizontal unit for sale. i purchased the dvd drive knowing i needed a vertical mount one. I also bought the pcm paired with the dvd unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Just be a little careful with matching parts. There are different part numbers listed for the PCM units depending if the car has a Bose system and if the DVD drive is vertically or horizontally mounted. The part number for a PCM for a Gt3 / Turbo and Carrera 4 is different to that of a 911 boxster or cayman. If you trawl through hte TSB section and the online parts catalogue you should be able to ascertain the appropriate parts. It is also important that the DVD drive matches the PCM in terms of firmware/ software level.